Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Do you guys think this is possible ?

I'm going to making a header for a turbo on my car, I'll be using 304 stainless tube ( 16gauge ) and wanted to know if a 20lb turbo would break this material. The turbo would be braced but I'm having some doubts, here is a pic to get an idea

With a brace like this

Last edited by tigmate; 10-11-2006 at 11:33 PM.

I wouldn't recommend using the header to support the weight of the Turbo. Every turbo car that I ever worked on always had bracing from the turbo to the engine block. That including cars that used cast iron exhaust manifolds. If you are just making 1320 passes then you might be able to get away with it but if this is a street car, the stress and vibration from everyday driving will eventually cause something to break.

I have no clue but those are great pictures

not much of a clue here either I would try the ask andy part of the board. good luck. garth
    garthswelding@aol.com trail blazer 301g with all the fixins:delta band saw dewalt chop saw craftsman drill press, sp-135 mm251 spectrum 375 suite case mig, tig w/hi freq. one welding truck.

Default What kind of camera

I'm like monte..great pics! What kind of camera did you use?
    I don't really know what to say about the bracing other than looks good to me ..but i'm no expert and I own a MM250X what does that tell you *LOL* I guess I need to quit poking fun at the 250x before i get kicked off here..maybe they will exchange with me(210 or 251) and let me pay them a little boot.
    Farris
    Last edited by fyoung; 10-13-2006 at 03:11 AM.
    Gone But Never Forgotten!

Cool support for your turbo

Can you go to a heaver material like 10 gauge and 316 stainless? I'm
    sure this would do it, All depends on how you design it.

Quote Originally Posted by tigmate View Post
    I'm going to making a header for a turbo on my car, I'll be using 304 stainless tube ( 16gauge ) and wanted to know if a 20lb turbo would break this material. The turbo would be braced but I'm having some doubts...
    It is never a good idea to have the header tubes support the turbo, as the tubes are subject to heat cycles and vibration, both of which like to make things crack. I would just make a bracket to support the weight of the turbo, using material similar to your braces, but support it from 3 or 4 directions. Use mounting hardware that will allow some movement from expansion/contraction and vibration, without making the header tubes actually support the weight.

JD

Default Tigmate

sorry I could'nt help well I tried eh