Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default wondering about plasma cutters

Hi im new to this plasma stuff but i own my own little buisness right now and i wanted to get into cutting sheets of like 10 gauge and i was wondering what is the good plasma cutter to use or to buy

Default Plamsa Cutter

Miller, I have a small one, and not good with numbers or models, but it runs on 120V, and needs to hook to an air compressor, I think the model is a Spectrum 375, cost was about $1,100.00 and I love the thing. Works wekk.

check out Miller, they also make Hobart and a nice 3 year warrenty.

Mushroom

I have a Spectrum 375 at my place. It is great for sheet metal and other small cuttings. Personally, if I was going to do it over, I would step up to the 625. Granted, it's about twice the cost, but a bigger machine can always be turned down for light work. It can get pretty frustrating when you have to drag out the torches just for that one cut that's too big for the plasma. If all you are planning on doing is the lighter sheets, then the 375 would be well worth the money. Just remeber to look at what you might be doing down the line and not wish four years later that you had spent a little more. Oh, and just a personal thing with me, I run extra filters and have a dryer on my air system to make sure things don't get contaminated with dirty/moist air. Happy shopping!! SSS
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 10-10-2006 at 08:23 AM.

Default Plasma cutters

I agree with all of the above - I'm a hobbyist, dollars to doughnuts it costs me $50 to fill my portable Oxy-Act tanks. Granted it cost a few bucks to buy my plasma torch (Spectrum 375) and a compressor to drive it ($500) - now my only cost is electricity.... SSS is right - look 4 or 5 years into the future and buy equipment that supports growth.

Steve

For what you want to cut the Specturm 375 will do the job, I have one and its great as long Ias I don't try to cut anything beyond its capabilities. If I were getting a new one I would spend the extra few dollars and get the Spectrum Extream 375, very nice cutter IMO.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

I have the spectrum 375 it works great especaly if you switch it over to 220 with the switch on the back of the machine it cuts 1/4" with no problem the specs on the 375 are1/6 stand off rated 3/8 quality cut 1/2" sever 5/8". drag cutting 5/16 rated 3/8 quality 1/2" sever you just have to adjust your cut speed to get what you want. hope this helps.
    garthswelding@aol.com trail blazer 301g with all the fixins:delta band saw dewalt chop saw craftsman drill press, sp-135 mm251 spectrum 375 suite case mig, tig w/hi freq. one welding truck.

Cool plasma machine's

check out millers web site under products.
    I own A 2050 and it is a good machine I mainly cut 1/4" But there is that odd time that I do get asked to cut some 3/4" plate and with this machine no problem.on single phase If you want stay with 1/4" and lighter for now then the 375 or the 625 will do you just fine. If you are cutting aluminum I have allways had better luck with a skill saw.Way less cleanup after my cut.
    hope this helps ya make a wiser decission.