Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default welding exhaust pipe

i am welding some exhaust pipe for my truck this weeked. i was wondering if i should just but them togetherand weld away with my mm135 or put a ring inside and then weld. thanks in advance from a novice.

I usually dont put anything in them, I make the fitup nice and tight, weld it up

This also might help. To get the the tubing to fit nice end to end, I have
    used hose clamps with slots cut in them. Tack the tubing thru the slots take
    off the clamps finish the weld. Works great when you need that third hand.
    P.S. Make sure the slots are big enough so the clamp does not get tacked
    to the tube.

Cool clamps

like the hose clamp ideal i coud have used that tip 3 weeks ago
    i too just but the pipe then mig it up with my mm135 just watch the heat if repairing old stuf i use flux i know but it sticks nice and you can do it in the yard
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I don't know what your particular job situation is, but when I have an exhaust repair I first go to napa and see if I can buy one of their many sizes and types of pipe adapters and clamps, I might be wrong here, but I feel the repair job will last much longer.

I do use a few adapters but try to avoid that stuff, even mufflers, weld on. I have my own little system, sawzall the old off and weld a new one in. I live on backroads and welded exhaust lasts so much longer, doesnt come loose and is actually easier to repair. You arent always trying to get a slip fit joint apart. Just saw off. Lately I have been moving the muffler ahead about a foot and coming out ahead of the rear wheel on pickup trucks. It avoids the tailpipe over the axel. I stock some 90 degree 2" EMT sweeps. They outlast couple of mufflers and slide right in the end, re-use them. I weld a 2 1/4 extension on to come out from under the box side and they slip fit into a 2 1/4 muffler end.

thanks guys. i will be doing this project on saturday. i will let you know how it goes. i like the hose clamp idea, im going to try it.

Here is a question regarding exhaust pipes.

I know that they are welded all of the time but I also know that welding in the possible presence of gasoline fumes is hazardous to your health.

Is there a safe(r) practice to adhere to when welding on exhausts?

Sort of on the same topic: one of the big benifits of a OA is to free seized bolts by heating them, the problem is that I am no nervous about the KABOOM that I rarely do that. Maybe I am ultra conservative as all of my frozen nuts are located on my diesel truck.

Does someone have any advice with respect to safety practices when welding on exhaust and/or heating seized bolts?

Smile safe

if you smell gas fumes fix the gas leak first, then fix the exhaust
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Yup, I will second that,, good solid advice. Dont blow fire on gas tanks and watch for vapor and fuel lines. To complicate matters now many of these lines are plastic. If I have to I make a heat shield. Clamp a piece of plate or sheet up in the work area.