Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Talking about service,
    Call a service center that does not sell welders,ask them how many they service and if they think they are built well. They usually know what machines work well & what are heaps of smelly excrement. My local service guy does not speak too highly of maroon.
    Dynasty 200DX With TEC Superflex 9 & 17 Torches,
    Hypertherm 30A Plasma
    Rincoln SP130T Mig

Thumbs up service

my dealer will do any sevice i need on all my stuff miller matic, spectrum plasma and soon thermal arc.i would have preferd the dynasty but as a hobbiest just playing not makeing $$$ with it its a little hard to save up the $2800.00.My dealer would not have sujestid it if he couldnt service it so that is not that big of a problem if it is solid to start with i shouldnt need repairs but if i do he will be there for me and ill be at the front of the fix-it list as i bought it there
    my dealer is top drawer for shoure.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Call a service center that does not sell welders,ask them how many they service and if they think they are built well. They usually know what machines work well & what are heaps of smelly excrement. My local service guy does not speak too highly of maroon.

Thermal Arc has been buying private labeled machines from several companys. SanRex is the supplier for any of the tig/stick inverters. They used to get those units from Italy, but that didnt work. SanRex has a local repair house in NY and has always satisfied my customers.

Thermal Arc also purchased the old Hobart assembly lines, in troy ohio. These units were unchanged from Hobarts original design.

I would not buy any of the Italian tig units or generators, or Malaysian wire feeders.

As far as the SanRex units go, your tech probably hasnt ever seen one.

The TA 185 ( I believe GTA/SPEC is correct on their (TA) marketing it in the states)is an okay unit. I honestly prefer the Dynasty 200DX over the TA 185. It is an all around heavier duty unit. I highly recommend spending the extra $700 or so. In the long run you will be much happier and regret won't be in your vocabulary! Parts will also be easier to come by. My warranty experiences with Thermal Arc have been less than satisfactory. Everybody has an opinion and that's mine.

Once you get into using these machines side by side it is more than just a Ford versus Chevy thing. I hope you will hang on for the Dynasty. I use a 200 and a 300 for nearly all my TIG work. They are a bit pricey, but worth it. I as well as GTA/SPEC and others on this forum rely on premium quality equipment,consumables, etc for income. I chose a couple of Dynastys and have never had a regret. I did have on service warranty issue with my 200. It was handled promptly, professionaaly and hassle free. The little 200DX is running strong almost everyday.... enough rambling. Everybody must decide for thierselves.

Default choice

the dynasty would be my choice but the short version is im on a disability income and dont even know what im going to do with it. mostly just play to keep my sanity.as it is it looks like another 2 months befor i can aford the thermal arc 185 however if there are problems with the machein i will wait as i can't aford to have to start saving agin for a dynasty after spending on a thermal to find it to be trash?
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

You wont find it to be trash, it just wont be as portable ( it only runs on 220v not 120/220 like the 200dx) and its duty cycle isnt as good.

Default portability

it is still more portable and beter duty cycle than the syncrowave 180 and more options.the syncro 180 was what i started to get then decided to wait for the dynasty then ran into the t.a 185.
    aaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! im so confused.
    im not that portable myself.
    it sounds like a solid machiene with good feedback on other sites?
    thanks for the input
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Default Thermal Arc 185

Hi,
    I looked real hard at buying a Thermal Arc 185 instead of a Dynasty 200dx. If you do a search on this board you will probably find, the discussion I had with Hawk and others about the 185. I downloaded the manual for the Thermal Arc and one of the things that made me buy a Dynasty was how hard the 185 was to use. The setup did not seem intuitive to me. I like the way the Dynasty operates better. Now whether that is worth an extra $1000 remains to be seen. I have not been unhappy with my Dynasty and it seems to be a real fine machine. I am an Engineer by profession and I would starve if I had to make a living as a welder. There is no doubt I am a sorry welder, but the Dynasty has improved even my sorry welds.

Thanks,
    W. Hatter

BTW I own a MM251 and a Dynasty 200dx
    I think both are fine welders.

fun4now,

I do not know of any specific problems with the TA 185. I only know I have had bad experiences with warranty on 2 other TA machines. My concern is will they treat others as bad as they treated me. I finally had to sell my machines out right and take a tremendous loss on them.

I will admit the larger 300-400 amps inverters from Thermal Arc are decent machines. They lack the duty cycle of comparable Miller machines, but otherwise perform well.

I know it is easy to get Miller warranty and parts due to their wide spread dealer distribution across the USA. There are very few TA dealers by comparison. My guess is few parts are stocked state side nor are the parts available for immediate shipment. Unlike Miller many companys manufacture based on need ( made to order ).

You may not know why you want a 200 amp TIG machine except for hobby purposes. However, I bet you find many applications once you start putting down some decent beads. Hold out for the Dynasty 200DX if you can.

Default thermal arc 185

Ive been using the Thermal arc 185 for the past week or so at work. we also have a dynasty 200DX there that I have used a ton also. to sum it up everyone around the shop thinks the TA is just as good of machine as the 200DX. these are guys with 20 years or more on the job. If it were me id buy the thermal arc Mabe hawk need to test drive one out.