Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Thermal arc pro-wave 185TSW ??

my welding suply guy is realy pushing this. i been saving for the dyn200DX but thinking can only afford the syncrowave 180. was talking to my dealer about it and he said he just had a demo from thermal arc. he said he was real impressed and thought i should consider this unit as it has a hier duty cycle than the syncro 180 and 5 more amps on the top side. anyone used thermal arc.
    here is the stats on it

The new PRO-WAVE 185TSW from Thermal Arc® handles just about any TIG welding job while generating True-Square wave AC/DC output with full range capability from 185 amps down to 5 amps.
    Weighing less than 42 lbs., the PRO-WAVE 185TSW packs outstanding value and performance into a highly portable, surprisingly compact design. Standard features include Current Sloper, Current Pulser and variable frequency, wave balance control, and Lift or HF assisted starting. The 185TSW also has a digital AMP/volt meter, gas solenoid valve and remote control capabilities. Thermal Arc backs the 185TSW with a three-year warranty.

The PRO-WAVE 185TSW incorporates new Voltage Reduction Device (VRD), technology designed to prevent accidental electric shock. It reduces the Open Circuit Voltage (OCV) when the power supply is not in use, but does not hinder performance.

All functions and controls are easily set through pushbutton switches on the front panel. Each function is marked by a symbol and lighted LED that clearly marks which function is being adjusted.

The 185TSW yields welds with superior purity and exceptionally clean appearance, as well as x-ray quality welds on all metals. Precise wave shaping allows the operator to control the cleaning, penetration, and heat input of any aluminum application. The 185TSW is a member of Thermal Arc’s complete family of “next generation” inverter power supplies for STICK (SMAW), TIG (GTAW), MIG (GMAW) and multi-process applications.

FEATURES:

Smart Logic -Eliminates damage if machine is accidentially installed to the improper voltage. Push-Buton Control Panel - Easy Access to all functiones and controls. True Square Wave AC Output - Provides AC Tig wave-shaping to control weld control. Pulse Mode(Standard) - Fully adjustable pulse parameters for precise control of weld shape. Tig Modes(Slope-Repeat and Spot)-Control over the Start and Weld Crater repeatable weld cycle. Remote Receptacle - Allows remote devices to be conected for controlling amperage and output contactor. Warning Code Circuitry - Alerts operator of power supply abnormalities. VRD Inside- VRD stands for Voltage Reduction Device , it reduces the OCV when the power supply is not in use.Eliminates the need for add on voltage reducers and has no effect on arc starting.

Output Range 5-185 amps DC and 10-185 amps AC.

Duty Cycle 40% at 180 amps Stick

Duty Cycle 30% at 180 amps Tig

Dimensions : 14"x 7" x 16.5"

Weight 40 lbs.

Tig Package: 12.5 air cooled tig torch, and accessory kit, Work Clamp with 10' cable,Stick electrode holder with 13' cable, Argon Regulator, Gas Hose and Remote Foot Control.

Dimensions : 14"x 7" x 16.5" Weight 40 lbs

it looks real good on paper and dealer said it ran well for him with a good setup sheet

should i go for it or the syncrowave 180

any thoughts welcome
    thanks
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I think this is the ford vs. chevy debate. I have used several brands other than miller with different features and claims but I still believe that the miller is the premium and others are putting up numbers to make themselves look better than miller, why? because miller is where the other companies want to be- in the lead of the industry!!

Peace,

Default dynasty wanbee

well it looks to me like a dynasty 185 without the 120V option. im shoure the dynasty 200 would walk all over it but at $1800.00 for the thermal arc with tig and stick pacage VS $2700.00 for the dynasty. the $1800.00 is hard enouth to spare for a hobbiest on a disability check.i have always preferd chevy to ford but we all know thats a debate for the ages.i have no reason to dislike fords only used a few company ford trucks with no real problems. i was just looking for any thought on reliability or if its just a dime store throwaway???
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

fun4now,

Thet love it over there on the Hobart Forum. Type in a search Thermal Arc 185. Never heard a bad report about the machine. If you can score one at a good demo price, with the three year warranty. It's hard to go wrong. If it had the "go anywhere" 120v option like the Dynasty. I wouldn't be still saving for the Dynasty. Test drive that baby. It's your money. They love it her on this site also. http://www.fab-forum.com/default.asp
    Wheat Stalker

Millermatic 210
    Dynasty 200DX
    Fisher CZ-5...CZ-3D..
    Trek 5500
    1966 Amphicar

i have always gone for transformer machines and especially BLUE but i was really impressed with the t.a. 185 little bit more of a learning curve though !!

give it a try compared to the 180syncro

let us know

dawg

I was very impressed with the ProWave 185TSW. It has excellent arc charactoristics and a better AC bottom end than my Dynasty 300 DX. SanRex, in Japan is the manufacturer who private labels the unit for Thermal Arc. They make a 200 amp, 120/240 version, but its only avaliable in Japan. too bad.

fun4now...I just bought a TA185 myself. I have not gotten it yet so I cannot comment on ther performance yet, but some of the guys on the hobart discussion board rave about it. I will tell you that www.aaaweldingsupply.com just sold me mine for $1650 Shipped. That is with the torch/accessory package.

John

Thumbs up thanks

thanks guys . my dealer said he could get me out the door at $1750.00 and will work with me after houres till i get it figured out (first time tig'er)so ill spend the extra $100 for local help
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

lramberson Guest

Good price but MADE IN JAPAN, how do you say service in Japaneese?..
    I am sticking with my Blue & the ability to have my questions answered on this forum.

Originally posted by lramberson
    Good price but MADE IN JAPAN, how do you say service in Japaneese?..
    I am sticking with my Blue & the ability to have my questions answered on this forum.

MADE IN JAPAN = Never needing service

PS...just because you dont have a "blue" machine does not mean you wont get answers here or on the Hobart board. There are a number of us "maroon" owners that answer questions about these darn jap machines

John