Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool 4" spool adaptor to big welder's

Hi Guy's, I have a pile of 4" spool's of .023 for thin sheetmetal. I want to use them on my MM185 but can't because of the 5/8" spindle hole. I was going to rewind them on an empty big spool but don't have the time. So i thought of an adaptor, i don't have time to make one for a few days but i will throw out the idea. Use a piece of 2" black pipe the width of the big spool. Bring 2 arm's straight out with a 5/8" hole to hole the 4" spool, you can tighten the 5/8" nut for some tension on the little spool. Then you will need an arm downward like a kickstand to keep everything level for the wire to go into the drive. I have some 1/4" bolts with rubber feet i plan to use. Hey give it a shot. Sure beats buying a giant spool of .023 if you only need a little. Will post some pics in a few days...Bob
    One other thing it would be good for those small rolls of flux core if you want to try flux core welding without buying a $50 roll.
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 09-11-2005 at 09:55 AM.
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I can picture it & sounds like a good idea. Let us know if it works. Many times you can pick up these little spools for next to nothing but unless you have a little machine you can't use them.---MMW---

Default Universal Spool Adapter

Sounds like you are looking for a Universal Spool Adapter. You can goole it (put it in quotes) and get all kinds of results. Here is one from BR Welder
    Universal Spool Adapter

Cool

Wow, Always a day late. I didn't know about them. Thanks for the update. But for 29 bucks i will make one ...Bob

Quote Originally Posted by brianw
    Sounds like you are looking for a Universal Spool Adapter. You can google it (put it in quotes) and get all kinds of results. Here is one from BR Welder
    Universal Spool Adapter
    HTP America also has one that sells for ~$20. I bought mine at the local Miller dealer a few years ago.

HTP: 1-800-USA-Weld

Cool

WOW, 2 of them. I need to come out of the shop more...Bob

Cool Spool adaptor is done.

Went thru my junk box and found all the parts. Only had to buy a 5/8" ID x 4" spring for a buck. Works great...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bob:
    Very nice, looks like it might just need to be copied here in my garage. Thanks.
    Paul

I also copied Bob, but I don't care for the time needed to prevent unwinding of the loaded spool via tensioning with the double nuts (my design change).

I'm curious what was used (almost looks like a spring?) on the one you made, and how you would do it differently if you were to make another?

Anyone else can feel free to chime in with suggestions. I hate to think of my 309 springing on me when using this thing.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post

I also copied Bob, but I don't care for the time needed to prevent unwinding of the loaded spool via tensioning with the double nuts (my design change).

I'm curious what was used (almost looks like a spring?) on the one you made, and how you would do it differently if you were to make another?

Anyone else can feel free to chime in with suggestions. I hate to think of my 309 springing on me when using this thing.
    Jim,

For spool tensioning try using a flat washer, compression spring, and a nylock nut.

I'd more than likely also add a spacer between the spool of wire, and the flat bar piece