Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Prototype shop

SkidSteerSteve,

I grew up with a wrench in my hand - I was handing tools to the old man until I was old enough to do it myself - then he became the supervisor. You are spot on - there are engineers that have field experience - and those that have never gotten their hands dirty. My experience is that book smart engineers (unless they are in the genius catagory) - are practicle stupid.

I will be the first to admit welding is a passion unrelated to my day job. I bought my first MIG machine 3 years ago (Millermatic 135) for a repair job on my RV. Added a TIG machine a year later with another "excuse" (Dynasty 200DX). Followed by a plasma cutter (Spectrum 375), an oxy-act welding/cutting rig - and finally a spot welding machine (LMSW52T).

I have a few more purchases to round out my shop - then I will hit the small repair & custom fabrication specialty segment.

Steve

Steve,
    I too grew up with wrenches (and saws, drills, planners, shapers...ect) in hand. There was never a lot of extra cash around when I was growing up so you either fixed it yourself, or went without. Early on I developed a little philosophy that has done me well so far...that is if you can't find it, or can't afford it when you do find it....BUILD IT!! I adopted that saying 15-20 years ago back in the eighth grade when I wanted an amplifier for my radio gear (ARS-KB5JWN). I didn't have the $500+ for it, so I researched the schematics (4 parrelled 811A grounded grid triodes), gathered the parts and built it for about $100....then I entered it in the science fair and was barred from judging because a 14 year old can't build that stuff.....but I digress.

Currently my welding is fairly separate from my income. They only cross when something needs repaired or modified in house. Most of mine came from the fact that for a while I was a truck driver for a welding supply company (yep...I rolled bottles all day...talk about a employer-sponsored workout program!) and was able to purchase gear at a very reasonable price since I was an employee. That's the only reason I have a tig (Syncro-180SD) and engine drive (BC-250). The mig(MM-210) and plasma(Spectrum 375) would have been around regardless.

SSS

Dude,

You must be the parallel dimension twin - alibet a little younger. My dad was a truck driver - and I was never allowed to take any shop classes while in school - math, electronics, & science was the cirriculum.

I've been into ham radio, CB, and bandit stations... I'm now into arcing & sparking. There is no better day then the time I have out in the garage working on a project....