Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: going rate

05F15O Guest

Question going rate

what is the gowing rate for you guys with your own rig per hour. and also when are you guys charging a minimum for work. thanks josh

I don't do any road work. Only shop work. Aluminum/steel/stainless. I charge $40.00 an hour labor plus material and I charge for shop supplys [grinding wheels, gas etc]. But usually I use $40 as a guide. I really charge by the job. Some jobs take you longer than you can charge for and other jobs you do really quick but are worth alot. I am curious to see others opinion on all this as well. Of course different areas of the country will have different markets, but still would like to hear what others do.
    Good question
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

$75 per hour, plus generator fuel and all consumables.

Depends what the market in your area will bear.Most shops in my area charge between $35.00 and $65.00/hr plus materials.
    I charge by the hour plus consumables,materials and mileage.Another shop charges a flat $55.00 plus materials.They have consumables and mileage figured in the hourly rate.As HM said some times you have to charge a little less for jobs and others pay more than enough.I`ve not had any complaints with my rates yet but I`m sure it will happen.
    Check some of the shops in your area to see what they are charging and you can get a feel for what the market`s like.Don`t price yourself so low you can`t make it go and risk alienating yourself from the other shops and you don`t want to be the most expensive shop out there either,cause you could be setting at home doing nothing.
    I got hooked up with a local shop to do my bending,shearing,and burn table work,they in turn gave me all their portable work(say they rather work inside),it works out great for me.

06f150 Guest

Smile hey

hey its 05 f150 i had to change my name this stupid thing wont let me log in.how do you guys determin the three hour minimum thing in ca we have been charging around 75 to 80 and hour for a rig thanks for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    $75 per hour, plus generator fuel and all consumables.
    That's it, I'm moving to Vegas. That's $150k a year for 40 hours weeks. I like it.

Move over, Mac. Here I come.

JD

I'm getting $65/hr mobile with a 2hr min. There are some that get more and some that charge less. I figure you get what you pay for. That figure includes fuel and consumables for me. If I am doing some expensive stuff, extra charges will be added. Kinda depends on the job.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Quote Originally Posted by JD in Socal View Post
    That's it, I'm moving to Vegas. That's $150k a year for 40 hours weeks. I like it.

Move over, Mac. Here I come.
    I also don't work full time. I charge these rates to purposely keep my workload light. I'm not offended at all when they think I am too expensive, which is often. When I do get a job, I'm well compensated. When I don't, I have plenty of better things to do.

The shop that i was working for here in nova scotia charges $70/hr in shop and $80/hr cnd + materials consumables.

Charles

I charge $50.00 an hour plus materials , I also do machining and never charge for my consumables. I lease my building so I think I am very cheap for a shop thats open 10 hours a day. One thing that I do that no one else mentioned is I charge 10% over the top of my material cost, it helps cover the fuel in my truck and the hired help when I am out getting material. Not to mention there is a 5.5 % sales tax that I sometimes pay when purchasing material so that means I am only 4.5 % over my cost. Plus I generally will get my material cheaper then they would anyhow. I nearly always buy full length and unless the job uses less then half of it I charge them the length price. My supplier bends us over so hard on cuts that the cost of cutting exceeds just buying the whole length in most cases, so even though it sounds crude to charge people for the whole length they are still getting off cheap. If they go to the local "we cut it for you" shop it will cost then atleast 30-50% more then my cost.