Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thawing Pipes??

Default Thawing Pipes??

In the "Jumpstart" thread timw brought up thawing pipes with a welder....

"On a related note, I bought a Sears 180amp buzz box welder in 1965. (I still have it) The instructions tell you how to thaw frozen water pipes with it. I think it said do it in 10' sections and listed duty cycle to go on and off." (timw)

this is something that I have never tried... any thoughts??
    just curious..
    Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Cool

Kinda early for frozen pipes. LOL. Anyway I worked on a farm where my dads weld shop was. Every Jan-Feb when it was super cold the water froze in the barn 200' from the house. We hooked up his red welder AC/DC 250 with one end in the house on the pipe and the other lead on the spigot in the barn. (I don't remember which end went where but I will find out later today). Crank it up and let it churn for about a half an hour, steam comes out of the spigot first then the water. He used to have a portable and do the same thing for farmers. Worked every time. Then I would unhook the lead swap on the welding leads and go to work. We left the spare set running to the barn..Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Heiti,

Don't get frozen pipes, but wonder if it would work on my crawfish cooker. Be quicker than propane I bet!!!

moe1942

Default H80N

I too have a Sears 180 amp buz box, 1965 vintage (Colormatic welder) Bought it new on Long Island for exacly that reason. Neighbor told me he had just sold his welder or he could help me thaw the frozen pipes in my garage. Well needless to say 30 minuits later I was the proud owner of a new welder. Oh yes It worked just fine.

Default forgot picture

here is the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default picture

correct orientation

Default The ULITMATE Thawing Machine

When I was at the Miller Expo in Atlanta they had a fantastic display and demo of all their engine drives from the Bluestar 140 to the Big Blue Air Pak. One of the Miller representatives was telling me a guy in Wisconsin bought a Big Blue Air Pak for the purpose of thawing and blowing out the frozen pipes. That is a 20,000 machine with all the frills. I guess you could get it around 17,000 for real. Anyway, the guy who bought it paid for it in less than one winter of pipe thawing. He was not even a real welder other than a bit of rod burning. Food for thought!

Here's a picture of the Buzz Box, I bought it in 1965 from Sears for $88.00 with the hood and leads. I worked all summer for the money. I have built quit a lot of things with it including about 20 trailers and 2 Off Road Dune Buggies. Now I have a MM 210 and a Dialarc 250 AC/DC so it dosen't get much use. From the "I never throw anything away department" I found the instructions that came with it on how to thaw pipes. Now if I can get them from my scanner to computer I will post them.

Hawk:
    WOW that is impressive, was that in comercial accounts or going door to door.

WOW that is impressive,

Just to add my 2 cents...I have thawed water pipes yrs ago,but wont try it today.On my own stuff yes,but for others (nope).what you need to know is that thawing with a welder is a direct short on the welder and for your protection you need to potect the welder...Lincoln is the only manufacture that i know that makes a LINC THAW unit that hooks in line with your welder with a Fuse..Remember Electricity takes the least path of resistance to go to ground..So If your hooked to one end of the copper pipe and to the other end that might have a plastic fitting going off in another direction the plastic will get hot and possible fire..If by chance your thawing inside a city,it might bleed back into the main water line and get the neighbors house.Lincoln has info on proper thawing and the protective unit if you would care to give it a try...but be very careful before attempting....