New to forum-always lurked but never had time to join and be active.
I own a small job shop and am always learning how out of date my 20+ year old skills are when I read some of the posts. I am always learning by either experiance or reading.
I dont see or read much on controlling warpage from welding. My past has always tought me that you can never have too many clamps or tacs prior to striking your first arc. Then there is the old stand by of using experiance to guide you and counter the warp before you clamp it up. The last method being a guessing game that doesnt always work, as I recently found when doing a large frame for a 8' by 8' out door sign standing 10 feet high. Made from 8" channel on a 8" boxed channel post. Looked like a giant field goal post before the sign was put in. I couldnt clamp it up to my table seeing how it was a bit too large to fit (over 18' over all). I layed it out on "H" beams and guestimated the amount it would pull. After stitching it up I was pleased to see it pulled perfectly into square. And it needed to because the sign frame was square and had to fit into it near perfectly. So I tacked in my gussets and started to finish weld it. Taking plenty of time to not over heat any area, generally laying about 1-1/2" of weld at a time and letting it cool. It stayed straight until I did the finish welds on the gussets, then it pulled the top (mind you thats 8' away from the welded area) out a good 3/8".
So if any of you needed to weld a 8" box dead center into a 8' long piece of channel what would you have done to keep it from pulling ?
Always looking for a better way to do the same old thing.