Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default filter argon for tig welding?

Would there be any benifit in filtering the Argon when tig welding? I was reading some old post about some nascar shops getting bad argon. And then I stumbled across a sight about welding stuff for NASA were they ran the argon through some micron filter and dryers to remove any moisture.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to add a filter, or in line dryer(like from an air conditioner) to the supply line, but would there be any need for doing so?
    DCRC
    Miller Dynasty 200DX 4/04
    Miller Big Window Elite helmet-much better than my old Speedglass 9000X
    Miller Millermatic 135 06/02
    Miller Spectrum 375 cutmate 04/03

There are slight advantages to using higher purity argon. I dont know of any filtering devices, but you can purchase cylinders that are tested to a higher standard like UHP ( Ultra High Purity )
    I prefer to use liquid argon. It has no moisture and less of a chance of enducting impurities due to it being a liquid.
    Also, your price per cubic foot goes down.

The bad argon that some people see is usually not from contaminants of moisture but from not properly purging the tank before refill. The tank may have had a mix gas before and a trace of CO2 may still be present. Filtering would not help this issue, just send it back and try a new bottle.

A-