Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default welding with E7018 using AC current

I would like to know if it is possible to weld with E7018 using AC current. I have tried and encountered some problems. Any tips or ideas, Thanks Canuck.

Yea, it's possible and doable. You may need to switch to a 7018ac. It really depends on your machine. We only used ac with 7018's on the big guys... 1/4" rods and up.

i hava a ac225 and i was having problems with the normal 7018 and found out you use 7018 ac with it and it solved the problem, just a little more $$$$ for the rod,

brian

Default Where do I buy 7018 AC welding rod

Thanks for the help guys, does anybody know a company that makes a 7018 AC rod?

call up your local welding supply store and ask, i usually just buy a 5 pound box so they dont go bad, sorry no metric system down here

brian

Talking

Thanks arcdawg, today I bought 8lbs of E7018-AC made by ESAB. I was amazed at the diference in the quality of the weld and they worked even better after I had heated them some.

Can you use E7018AC on a DC welder without any problems?? It's all that is available locally in hardware stores, and if I don't feel like going to the welding supply place, is there any loss in weld quality with AC rod, or does it simply just cost more?
    illuzion

That's interesting - I have some 7018AC rod that I bought at Home Depot - I think it's all they carry. I didn't even think about it at the time, I used it on a project at work where I had to weld some 1/4" angle iron stuff together. I got my Dynasty 200 DX today and wired it up for 110V input until the electrician gets here tomorrow to connect up my 220V socket correctly. I tried a couple of passes on some 1/16" tubing using the DC setting and did ok until I blew a hole in it. Probably just practice, but I'll probably try it again on AC and see how it works. The rod's a bit thick for the material, but I have some thicker stuff to practice on. I also did a few passes with the tig and am happy with the results so far. Later this weekend, I'll clean up some metal and play around some more.
    Shaky Jake
    Director, Institute for the Torment of Helpless Metals and Flying Brick Aerodynamic Studies
    www.donttrythisathome.org

Canuck,

7018's work best when warmed, it removes the moisture content from the rod coating. Most certifications done with the 7018's require the rod to be 180 degrees before welding. The reason is that the coating on the rods absorbs moisture quickly in fact a 7018 will absorb 80% of it's capability within the first 24 hours. If you don't have heated rod storage it's best to buy your 7018's in small quanitites. If you're going to be using a lot of 7018 you may want to consider a portable rod oven or as we call them here "hot box". Of course you can always make your own rod oven or hot box too. A lot of guys (and I've done it myself) will take old refrigerators and put a couple of 100 watt light bulbs in them and leave them plugged in all the time.

Good luck with your adventures in low hydrogen welding.

Blondie

Illusion,

I'd stick with the proper rods for the current you're using. The AC and DC weld puddles have different characterisitcs as the DC has constant polarities of the work clamp and the electrode while AC is constantly switching polarity at the rate of 60 times per second in most areas of the U.S.. The coatings have been engineered to work within the paramaters of the current characteristics. While it is possible to weld DC with a 7018AC rod you may not be getting the best weld possible and may be comprimising the sheilding gas properties which may allow for embrittlement of the weld or weld contamination.

Have you tried places such as Farm and Fleet stores or Tractor Supply for the DC 7018 rods? Usually I buy mine from a welding supplier so I can get just about any type rod I need for the job.

Hope this helps.

Blondie