Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Steve,
    good Idea about the truck air brake drums. .thanks for shairing that with us
    I have had severial request for Vise stands and that would work.

Thanks,
    .....Richard

Quote Originally Posted by SkidSteerSteve
    It never ceases to amaze me to watch someone try to unchain them if they aren't used to it. Nothing like job-site humor!
    I too always get a kick out of watching people unfimilar with it try and undo the cords for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by SkidSteerSteve
    I have built similar stands in the past for grinders, vises and such. If you aren't going to be moving it around much, I like to use old truck air brake drums for the base. Very solid, but not very mobile. I get mine for free from a local truck garage. If your floor isn't completely level (who's is?) you may have to hit the edges with an angle grinder and leave three little "legs" slightly higher than the rim so that it sets firmly on the floor. Oh, and my dad was a finish carpenter for over forty years. I learned very early on (way before starting school) about keeping my cords that way. We always called it "chaining the cords" at the end of the day. It never ceases to amaze me to watch someone try to unchain them if they aren't used to it. Nothing like job-site humor!
    Instead of doing all that grinding, why not weld 3 inch long beads equally spaced around the rim?

Default cord wrap

I've been wrapping my cords like that for 18 years. Learnt it on the jobsite. I actually own the company now. The only thing I find annoying about it is it tends to make the cord kind of kinky (not kinked) after a while. Usually caused by new people going with too tight of a loop.
    I too get a kick out of new people undoing them. It's a real hoot if the person who wrapped it up was new, and made the mistake of changing hands part way through!!!
    The difference between No One. and No. One is where you put the period. John Force

Default How do you wind up the cords like that?

I've seen cords wound up like that, but never knew how it was done.
    Is the a web site or easy directions somewhere on how to do it?

Danford1

Default coiling cords

could you tell me the official name for this coiling/knotting process? I have looked for a number of days and can't find how to coil like you did. I've tried "tangle knot", "bird nest knot". any other suggestions?

thanks Rob

I don't have the slightest clue what the cord winding process is called either but I have been using it for about 18 years every since I worked on a bridge gang for awhile that is how they wound all of them there. Made for a pretty nice way of getting the cords wound and was easy after you got the hang of it for unwinding the cords.

Very Nice

Jerry

Default coiling cords

how about a picture parade of how to coil this type of loop?
    Rob Mueller
    55/56 willys Jeeps: they keep me welding

I would also like to learn how to wrap my cords like this. Can someone show us how it is done? Also, what is the trick to undo the cord so I;m not the joke of the day?

Thank you.

Chip