Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I never learned either............But I learned a large mig wire spool makes a
    good extension cord holder

Default daisy chain

hey guys - just so happens I got my new "Handyman" magazine yesterday and they have an article in there about how to wind your cords like that. It's called a daisy chain and they have a picture sequence on how it's done.
    Have fun!!

Default Is there a web site for that magazine?

Is there a web site for that magazine article?
    Can someone explain how it is done if web access isn't possible?
    Danford1

Here is a sequence of photos showing how to daisy-chain webbing ... it will work the same with power cords. They shake out beautifully with no kinks or twists.

http://www.montanasoft.com/daisychain/daisychain.php

Default Daisy Chain Knot

Here is a link to a PDF on how to tie boat knots of the sort

http://bottrell.ca/Docs/Boaters%20Ti...hain%20knot%22

Long link but it works...

Default chaining

When I chain mine, I just plug the ends together instead of trying to find the middle of the cord to start at. Then just tie a loose knot and stack as many slip knots on top of each other until you run out of cord. at the end, just tuck the last few inches of cord back through the last loop to secure it. I usually make the loops pretty big (6-8in diam) just so it doesn't take a lot of time with several small loops. The down side to starting from the ends is that if only need a few feet of cord, you still have to uncoil it all. If you start in the middle and end with the plugs, then you can just uncoil what you need. Personally, I rarely use just a little cord, so I don't worry about it.

Oh and about the grinding of the brake drums......I haven't actually had to grind one down yet, it was just something I thought about once. The beads would accomplish the same thing. If you wanted to get real fancy, you could weld on some nuts inside the drum and put three leveling bolts (the only problem I could foresee is the fact that they are cast iron, so you'd have to deal with that whole scenario). The other great thing about those drums is that if you need a REALLY heavy base you can flip them over and fill them up with concrete. SSS

Default chaining pictures

Ok, it has been raining here most of the day and I'm the only one in the office. I've entered all the expense spread sheets I can take for one day, so I figured I run back to the shop and take some pics of this whole cord wrapping thing we have going on. Hope this helps...SSS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks to everyone for their efforts,

The sequences of pictures were great!

Chip

here is the bench grinder stand i built
    Attached Images Attached Images

Inferno Forge

Chris

Nice job guys! Especially to SSSteve for the time to take out and do those pics
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time