Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Bench Grinder Stand

Just finished my weekend project, a stand for my bench grinder and hooks for a couple of extension cords. Its made from 1.5" tubing and 2" angle iron. The base is a circular domed base that I found lying around at a shop I bought a few years ago. I have no idea what they were originally for but there was about six of them there and I figure I will find use for all of them eventually. This was all scrape metal I had so it was pretty rusty. As soon as I can fit in the budget it will go to get sand blasted and then a coat of paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very clean job, I like it.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Default cord tieing

I noticed how you tied/wraped your electrical cords...I do mine that are bad about tangling up the same way...I was taught how to do thatmany years ago...How about you?
    Farris
    Gone But Never Forgotten!

Thanks Sundown.

fyoung

I learned how to do that when I was about five years old. My dad always kept his extension cords and rope wraped like that. I don't know if this is the proper term for it but I was alway told its called a bird nest. I like it because it makes it so much to run a cord out easly.

I would add a little shelf above the cords just to prevent sparks from landing on them or the next time you go to use them you may get even more sparks without turning the grinder on.

I need to finish mine. I am putting many of my tools on slide out hitch trays to keep them on my bench.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by sapper
    I would add a little shelf above the cords just to prevent sparks from landing on them or the next time you go to use them you may get even more sparks without turning the grinder on.

I need to finish mine. I am putting many of my tools on slide out hitch trays to keep them on my bench.

Jay
    I've been considering a shelf. I was at my scrape metal store and they have a bunch of these aluminum shelves that might work just right but I wanted to build the stand first and see if I can incorporate the shelf into the design. I figure I'd unbolt the grinder and just sandwich the shelve between the stand and grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart
    Just finished my weekend project, a stand for my bench grinder and hooks for a couple of extension cords. Its made from 1.5" tubing and 2" angle iron. The base is a circular domed base that I found lying around at a shop I bought a few years ago. I have no idea what they were originally for but there was about six of them there and I figure I will find use for all of them eventually. This was all scrape metal I had so it was pretty rusty. As soon as I can fit in the budget it will go to get sand blasted and then a coat of paint.
    Hey Bart
    Good looking grinder stand. Your base is a blade from a disk harrow, they make great bases for a lot of things. I've used many of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank865
    Hey Bart
    Good looking grinder stand. Your base is a blade from a disk harrow, they make great bases for a lot of things. I've used many of them!

Thanks for the info. Now I know where I can get some more

Bart,

My late Grandfater used to wrap his extention cords up like that.
    he was a carpenter all his life. did a lot of onsite jobs, kinda like welders. had to go where the job is and work on site. . had a mobile work truck sorta like a welding rig. hummm
    but he liked his cords wound like that. . and it works

Richard

Default base

I have built similar stands in the past for grinders, vises and such. If you aren't going to be moving it around much, I like to use old truck air brake drums for the base. Very solid, but not very mobile. I get mine for free from a local truck garage. If your floor isn't completely level (who's is?) you may have to hit the edges with an angle grinder and leave three little "legs" slightly higher than the rim so that it sets firmly on the floor. Oh, and my dad was a finish carpenter for over forty years. I learned very early on (way before starting school) about keeping my cords that way. We always called it "chaining the cords" at the end of the day. It never ceases to amaze me to watch someone try to unchain them if they aren't used to it. Nothing like job-site humor!
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 08-20-2006 at 11:57 AM.