Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Syncrowave 250 DX vs Dynasty 200 DX

I'm new to Tig and am having a hard time choosing between the Syncrowave 250 DX and the Dynasty 200 DX. It will be used in my shop (230V) so portability is not really an issue. I'll be welding mostly really light steel (mild/stainless) and aluminum but some thicker material up to about 1/4-3/8". Which one is better for really thin stuff? What are the upper and lower limits on thicknesses for both machines? Also, which one is more reliable with longer life. Could you guys give me the pros and cons on each machine?

Thanks,
    Bruce

Skybolt,

Welcome,

My first thoughts are to go with the Syncrowave 250 if portability and power requirements are not issues. The 3/8" will be multi-pass for the Dynasty 200DX. However, the Dynasty 300DX is also a good choice. You can figure approximately 1 amp welding output per .001" inch material thickness. This is a general rule and the D200DX being an inverter power supply will actually do 1/4" or .250 in a single pass where the Syncrowave will probably require closer to 250 amps.

Both machines will perform on the "thin stuff". The D200DX has a built in pulse function with all the goodies: pulse, slope, sequence, etc. The Syncrowave 250 can pulse with the optional pulse module. The Dynasty DX will probably perform the best within its amperage, particularly on AC for aluminum and magnesium, because of the extra adjustments: frequency adjustment for a tighter more focused arc, adjustable electrode negative balance for the correct amount of cleaning (less EN balance) or more penetration ( more EN on the balance control).

The Dynasty ultimately is the newer technology with the most adjustability. The Syncrowave has been Miller's main-stay TIG machine for many years. The Dynasty can be be has in the 200 or 300 amp version. The 200 amp machine will go down to 1 amp output. The Syncro 250 will go down to 5 amps ( very negligable difference). The Syncro 250 has a max output of 310. It also has AC balance control for better cleaning or penetration.

Take a look at the attachments I posted recently called "Aluminations". There are (4) posts each with the continuing attachment sequence. This is an article form Miller Electric and is well worth your time as it compares inverters like the Dynasty to the transformer "classic" machines like the Sybncrowave. These posts will elaborate greatly on what I have touched on here.

Obviously there are many features to both machines. Both are Miller and very high quality. I have a Dynasty 200Dx and could not be happier. I use it mainly in shop. I also use a Trailblazer 301G with the high frequency attachment for mobile TIG work. If your main line will be 3/16" and down with 1/4" being the max for single pass welds and you are wanting the absolute "best" adjutability for quality and repeatability, then the Dynasty 200DX is my choice. For more amperage in this class choose the 300DX Dynasty.

Speaking of high frequency: used to establish an arc path from the torch to the work piece and stabilize the arc during welding. The Dynasty technology is such the the HF is used for arc starting, but is not need continuously. This can be a real plus when working in the proximity of computers, TV's, and other sensitive electronic equipment.

HERE'S THE BOTTOM LINE: DO LOTS OF RESEARCH BY TALKING TO TIG WELDERS, LOOK AT THE MILLER WEBSITE ( www.millerwelds.com ) TO COMPARE THE (2) MACHINES, DEMO BOTH MACHINES BY WELDING IF POSSIBLE.

It sounds like either machine will work for your needs. However, personal preference plays a large role. The longer life winner probably belongs to the Syncrowave as it is time tested and proven. The first inverters had some bugs as all new pieces do. However, they have been worked out and are excellent machines. As for longevity the inverters are holding up well. They have not been around as long as the "classic" Syncrowave, but I think will stand the test of time.

A fleeting thought: What about input power?

The Syncrowave 250 can draw 100 amps plus on 240 VAC single phase power at the rated duty cycle. Wow! That's some current pulling off your main service. If you are in a residential area with a 200 amp main service, then that can be half your available service amperage.
    That sounds like a wiring job: 100 slow blow breaker, #2 wire from the breaker to your disconnect, #2 extension to the machine. There's a bunch of extra money.

The Dynasty 200DX only draws 30 amps (+ or - a few) maximum when your pushing it hard. That's not much. Consider a 30 amp breaker with 10 gauge wire to your receptacle on a short run (25' or so) ; then use a 10 or 12 gauge extension cord from your machine to the 30 amp receptacle. I use a 12 gauge SO cord on a 100' run and have never had a hot wire. However, I would have to say use at least a 10 gauge extension cord to conform the the NEC code for 2004.

Some may think this is overkill, but better safe than sorry. NEC may let you get away with less. However, I value my property and try to do it by the book or better. Ohms law cannot be broken. It's agood idea to have an electrician do the wiring unless that's your field.

Hawk, Thanks for all the good information. I'll take your advise and look at the Miller articles. As for the power requirements of the Sync 250, I live in the country and am building a new shop complete with separate electric service. I won't have to worry about the amp draw other than the electric bill. Even with that, I still really like all the features of the Dynasty, plus it's cheaper. I'm just concerned about it holding up. Time will tell.

Do you think a water-cooled torch is worthwhile on a Dynasty? I understand it's not really required for under 200 amps. However, they're lighter and more comfortable than air-cooled from what I've read. Also, would you recommend foot or finger-control amp control?

Thanks,
    Bruce

skybolt,

I like the little #17 air cooled torch on the Dynasty 200amp DX. I have never gotten hot fingers like I used to get on my Lincoln Squarewave 175. You can run a water cooled torch and the coolmate for the fun of it if you like. I really like the coolmate 4. If you do go water cooled be sure to check for the correct coolant for HF application. The Dynasty 300amp DX does need a water cooled torch.

I have the finger and foot control. The finger control is harder to learn to use-especially for quick ram up. I like the foot control for shop use. It is very easy to control. I usually set the machine for the ouput I think I need so the foot control can stay down when welding. It is great for ramp up and slope down to fill the weld end to avoid cratering.

For longevity time will tell. However, I think we will all be pleasantly suprised with the Dynasty's life span. I really like my 200 DX and use my Trailblazer 301G with the HF box for anything thicker which is rare. 3/16" is about the most I do on mild steel and 1/4" on aluminum. I do go all the way down to .004" or so on magnesium, hastalloy, and some steel ribbon.

Arc Air the maker of gouge torches for carbon rods sells a 12" x12" x 1/2" thick carbon plate. Go ahead and order one. It is a great backing plate for thin stuff and can also be use to back and fill holes in material without welding to it. It costs less than $60 and is a very worth while investment for a TIG welder new or experienced.
    Let me know what you get.

There are some fine internet dealers like B&R welders, plus some local dealers are really good too!