Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The stick electrode arc voltage

Hi !

It was long time since last time I have been in the Forum....

Now I need a information, regardind the voltage between the stick electode and the work when the ARC PLASMA IS ON.

I know that the welder machine output is about 50~80 volts whoever I need know the voltage of the arc during the welding

Thank for any information.

Regards

Newton

Arc voltage and current will vary somewhat with arc length. A quality welder will show a voltage curve graph in the manual.

As an example, both the Miller Dialarc 250 and the Lincoln Idealarc 250 are rated at 250 Amps, 30 Volts (AC). My little Thermal Arc 161STL inverter is rated at 160 Amps at 26.4 Volts.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

I would say most arc voltages for SMAW are around 17 - 19 VOLTS? Thought maybe I read that somewhere. The book maybe referring to OCV.

Alotta variables in constant current, arc length, size of rod, rod composition, manufacturer of said rod. size of arc cable, type of machine. Voltage input if its a static plug in machine. If its an engine drive, whole lotta other variables

So get a meter out and have someone read it....

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Alotta variables in constant current, arc length, size of rod, rod composition, manufacturer of said rod. size of arc cable, type of machine. Voltage input if its a static plug in machine. If its an engine drive, whole lotta other variables

So get a meter out and have someone read it....
    Cruizer, where does the maximum OCV come to play? My Model 88 is rated at 30 volts, with maximum of 80.

Just generally better for starting characteristics to have a higher OCV, In mines most machines have a voltge reduction switch sooooo, ocv is like 15. So you don't get that big spark right off the bat. Really for the general guy OCV means zip, just something we techs look at for the validity of the machine. So if a machine says its sopposed to be 80, and it reads 60, there is something wrong. That OCV pretty much means nothing to the operator.

Why are you asking?

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Just generally better for starting characteristics to have a higher OCV, In mines most machines have a voltge reduction switch sooooo, ocv is like 15. So you don't get that big spark right off the bat. Really for the general guy OCV means zip, just something we techs look at for the validity of the machine. So if a machine says its sopposed to be 80, and it reads 60, there is something wrong. That OCV pretty much means nothing to the operator.

Why are you asking?
    Idle curiosity.

Hi USMCPOP,

Thanks for the advise.

I have downloaded the Miller cathalogh but the complete stick arc voltage parameters I could not read.
    The tables show 30V @ 250A and 28V @ 250A however no data for lower currents.

Maybe some manual or book have published a graph the arc voltage (arc voltage X arc current ) ??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg340 View Post
    I would say most arc voltages for SMAW are around 17 - 19 VOLTS? Thought maybe I read that somewhere. The book maybe referring to OCV.
    Hi johnnyg340 !

Your answer is close to the information that I am looking for.

Do you have the table of or graphic of arc voltage X arc current ?

I am not looking for the OCV or the V x A machine characteristics.

Wath book may show such information ?

regards

newton
    Last edited by Newton Brawn; 08-22-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Most owners manuals show the graph, however the voltage WILL NOT BE CONSTANT, The current (amps will be)Voltage will always vary unless your a robot or a load bank, or weld with exactly the same stickout. Unsure why you would need this information...

Maybe look up NEMA spects, like 200 amps at 26 volts, 32 @ 300, 450 @ 36, Miller/Lincoln plus spec 29 @ 300. Says in the first couple pages what the specs are for that machine