Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default just picked up a syncrowave 200. please give me some pointers on set up

whats up guys have had my millermatic 135 for years and found a great deal and a practically new syncro 200 its from 2006-7. so i ran the breaker, and when i start to set an arc with tig im hearing the arc in my stereo i have in my garage? i was looking in the manual and saw that i should be grounding the welder additionally from the actual welder? Any input on this would be very appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanpm View Post
    whats up guys have had my millermatic 135 for years and found a great deal and a practically new syncro 200 its from 2006-7. so i ran the breaker, and when i start to set an arc with tig im hearing the arc in my stereo i have in my garage? i was looking in the manual and saw that i should be grounding the welder additionally from the actual welder? Any input on this would be very appreciated.
    The High Frequency on TIG will wipe out AM radio anywhere around, in my experience. Will have a lesser effect on FM. I have not worked on suppression strategies, as I don't weld that many hours a week. If you can put the stereo further away from the welder that might help. If the interference is coming down the stereo power line you could potentially filter the power line. Grounding the welder may help.

One way to reduce radio emissions from the welder would be to run the work and torch cables next to one another.

Sure, thats easy, Twist tye your tig torch to your ground for the first 2' just after leaving the machine, (Acts like a transmission tower). Arc will be more focused as well. Hf noise should simply vanish.

That's a great tip Cruizer. In my profession I see twisted pairs of wires to reduce interference on computer signal wires. Never thought of applying that theory to my welder, awesome

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Sure, thats easy, Twist tye your tig torch to your ground for the first 2' just after leaving the machine, (Acts like a transmission tower). Arc will be more focused as well. Hf noise should simply vanish.
    ^^^ what he said^^^. I fought mine for a year or so. Ran earth grounds and even grounded the conduit... Mine would even mess with the TV in the house some
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    30a spoolgun
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe
    Acer Ultima "Bridgeport Mill"
    340hp Quincy and 400 gallon of air
    Other doodads and a stoker coal stove

Actually, not much theory behind that. Was on a service call where the alarms in a shop were being set off. Tryed all my tricks with the grounding and all then got pissed off and kicked the torch and work together. Presto, no more buzing in the radio, no more alarm and computer issues. Read about it later, WORKS REALLY WELL.

LOL cruiser, should have bought a 6/49 the same day