Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Millermatic 130 wire feed problems

Hi guys, I have a millermatic 130 mig and for some reason I'm having wire feed problems. What happens is when I hit the trigger the wire will feed out about 6-8 inches and then it stops. I got in touch with ILMO where I live and they said my liner was probably bad so I replaced it. After replacing the liner it worked great for the rest of the day, the next day I went to use it and it started doing the same thing, feeding wire out about 6-8 inches. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks Ed...

The first thing that came to my mind was could the wire be rusty, flaking off and clogging up the new liner.

Maybe those with more experience will have a better answer.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
    Older Sears AC Stick machine

I forgot to add that I'm using .035 flux core wire on it, if that helps any.

Flux core expands faster than the tip, so go a 1 over size or drill the exsisting one out.

Are you using a "V" groove roller, or a knurled "U" groove. Makes a difference, the "V" groove will distort a flux-cored wire to the point it won't feed smoothly through the tip. Even the proper knurled "U" groove should be set properly according to the instructions.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Thanks guys I will try that tomorrow...