Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Scared of it

Default Scared of it

I've been reading a lot of the Dynasty threads especially the 280 and 350 threads. I'm wanting one but all the adjustability scares me to death. I can see myself playing around with this and that and the next thing you you know my machine is rendered useless because I've got it so far out of wack I couldn't figure out how to put it back. Is it really that intimidating or am I making something out of nothing? What was some of you first timers experiences with the transition from a transformer machine like my Syncrowave to a inverter? Nightmarss and horror stories are welcome.
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    30a spoolgun
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe
    Acer Ultima "Bridgeport Mill"
    340hp Quincy and 400 gallon of air
    Other doodads and a stoker coal stove

Quote Originally Posted by sledsports View Post
    I've been reading a lot of the Dynasty threads especially the 280 and 350 threads. I'm wanting one but all the adjustability scares me to death. I can see myself playing around with this and that and the next thing you you know my machine is rendered useless because I've got it so far out of wack I couldn't figure out how to put it back. Is it really that intimidating or am I making something out of nothing? What was some of you first timers experiences with the transition from a transformer machine like my Syncrowave to a inverter? Nightmarss and horror stories are welcome.
    Yes it can be intimidating... and sure you can get way out of Whack....

BUT.... you can always do a reset that will put the settings back to factory defaults and safe ground...

The factory default settings will get you going.. and familiar with the machine... as you get more familiar and comfortable.. you can expand your universe... by adjusting parameters..

Remember... no matter how goofed up the settings get.. you can always reset...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

The first thing you have to get used to is the sounds it makes.
    Then you need to read the manual pretty much entirely. Its not that hard.
    Find out what the default settings are so you know where to go back to if you get to far out of adjustment.
    Having used a synchrowave I would start off close to how it was......use soft squarewave, set balance around 70 to keep a point but not be entirely strange, set frequency around 95 for pretty much the same reasons.
    Then just weld awhile like that. After that play with settings as needed or wanted.
    It's really not all that different from the stuff you use to watch TV.....lots of buttons to play with, but yet you can turn it on and watch. You have to try pretty hard to screw it up entirely.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Just as the above posters said, ya screw up somewhere, merely reset the machine and start over

You might spend some time watching the youtube videos on the Dynasty series..

I think you will find that the visuals will help take a lot of the mystery out of the extended features offered by these inverter machines..

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...miller+dynasty

aside from that you have a pretty good pool of us knuckleheads who have already made most of the mistakes with these machines to ask.... I know I sure doodled them up in 1st class fashion when I first got them...

Do not believe you can hurt the machine.... and I am pretty sure that no operator ever died from embarassment or bruised ego.. (I survived..)

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Thank you guys for making it easier. So if I decide to go with the 280 am I going to miss the power of the big 350? 3/8"and 1/2" is pretty normal in my shop along with billet cylinder heads. When engines digest valves there's a lot build up work and padding. I'm not sure if I can get over the price shock of the 350. The 280 sounds like a fine machine.
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    30a spoolgun
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe

Quote Originally Posted by sledsports View Post
    Thank you guys for making it easier. So if I decide to go with the 280 am I going to miss the power of the big 350? 3/8"and 1/2" is pretty normal in my shop along with billet cylinder heads. When engines digest valves there's a lot build up work and padding. I'm not sure if I can get over the price shock of the 350. The 280 sounds like a fine machine.
    I really like my Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner....

If you regularly do heavier stuff... the extra power of 350DX sure could not hurt..

will admit that I have not used the Dyn 280 though..

Last edited by H80N; 08-16-2014 at 03:49 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I'm gonna go ahead and start looking for a 350. Thanks y'all.
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    30a spoolgun
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe

sledsports,

Here is a chart showing some possibilities.
    As you can see, if the pulse option is not selected, the number of combinations is greatly reduced.
    I only use about 3 settings on my Dynasty 350.

You can always reset the Dynasty to factory defaults so play and have fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !