Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Thin walled Aluminum welding set up (Diversion 165)

I am welding small bicycle frames for small kids. This is the setup that I started learning with. With constant struggles with my machine I decided I should reconsider my setup and what I am using.

MACHINE:
    Miller Diversion 165

CURRENTLY USING:
    Material: 6061 T6
    Wall Thickness: .049
    Tungsten: = 3/32" 1.5% Lanthanated (Gold Tip)
    Filler: 3/32 ER 5356

What setup do you think would be best?

Thumbs up

you may consider moving up to a Dynasty 200DX...

with the added options of arc frequency, AC balance, waveform choice,.. pulse... etc...

the ability to tailor your arc to help control bead shape and size is a big plus...
    Last edited by H80N; 08-13-2014 at 10:42 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I don't have any doubt about it. I really want to upgrade. Finally my ability to weld is not the weak link. I think I have about maximized this units abilities. You don't have one that you'd like to swap with do you? Even up?

If it were not for money I would buy one.

Thumbs up 4943 Filler

Keepin mine thanks...

until you upgrade.. you might try a different filler...

4943 is much more fluid than 5356 and might give you a bit better puddle/bead control with that machine...

4943 is relatively new and it is pretty neat stuff..... might be worth a try..

http://www.marinelink.com/news/paten...ces350264.aspx

http://www.hobartbrothers.com/upload...Maxal_4943.pdf

http://www.hobartbrothers.com/downlo...minumGuide.pdf

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...Casting-repair
    Last edited by H80N; 08-13-2014 at 02:39 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I would try using 1/16" filler. Having never used 4943 I would try 4043. I have heard good things about 4943 though.

What exactly is the issue you are trying to overcome?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    I would try using 1/16" filler. Having never used 4943 I would try 4043. I have heard good things about 4943 though.

What exactly is the issue you are trying to overcome?
    4943 is a replacement for 4043 and a whole lot more...

I would not waste my time with 4043...

If you read the threads and links I posted.. you will get a better idea,,

Then try the 4943 and see...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Keep practicing, mate. You'll get there. I run pretty much the same setup as you, except I have a Lincoln Square Wave TIG 175 and run 2% lanthanated tungsten. My machine is set to max (175 amps) and I work the pedal. The added features of a fancier machine would make life easier, but working with what you have for a while will help you appreciate them even more when you eventually upgrade. At least that's what I keep telling myself. These are 7005 tubes and I use 3/32" 5183 filler. But the concept is the same. Keep most of your heat on the headtubes and bottom brackets and wash the weld onto the main tube.

AL001 by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr

That is a 7000 series aluminum? strong stuff. Special order right?