Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spooling steel.

Okay, I'm a novice here, not qualified to do a project like this. IMO, it seems a no-brainer the 6010/7018 procedure is the way to go. With 1/2" material, there is the chance you would burn up a 30A gun, it's only rated 200A@100%. At the cost of a 30A, it's not worth the risk.

If one wanted to do this with MIG, wouldn't it be best to have a 300A unit?

I could do it. Code for API wouldn't allow it but its water. Short circuit MIG is not allowed under API.

I've never run my spool gun on spray with mig. (With Steel) When on the Bobcat, for the thicker stuff I would use stick. On the 350P I use the regular gun for steel. On stainless I use tig.
    I only use my 30-A when I don't have much choice or there are really long welds on aluminum. I have used it on spray with 3/4" thick aluminum running about as high as the machine would go. It was truly awesome IMO
    I just never thought of it. (Spraying steel) I do have spray mix (90/10) and I could pick up a cheap roll of wire. But given the liner changing and all the fooling with turning the rollers over and then just the awkwardness of jacking around with the tension and all.....
    It just doesn't seem handy enuf to justify it to me. A spool gun is still just too rinky dink of an apparatus for it to be my "go to" choice for much of anything other than aluminum.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

That sounds about right. I was kinda of wondering though, you know, if a guy "has too". I agree with 3/4 inch aluminum though, it kicks azz!
    Last edited by 11b; 08-16-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11b View Post
    OK all that aside......how do you guys like using your spool guns for steel? With the adjustable voltage on your power supplies like a Trailblazer? I mean is it at least as good as a wire feeder or close?
    Years ago, I used to carry a spoolgun with me all the time, normally loaded with aluminum, but I also carried spools of stainless and MS wire, also the correct shielding gases for each. I would never do a fabrication job with this setup, but if there was a quick repair or welds that came up that wire was appropriate for, I was always ready for it. I would run off my trailblazer, or off a Commander 500. Neither power source was perfect, but both were acceptable.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

OK I kinda thought the same thing. Does the wire seem like it is moving around more than usual? And I agree about the weight and trying to manipulate the puddle. However, can you get spray with yours? You should be able too with a tad bit of O2 right?
    Since you are spooling off a 4" spool, of course the wire will be twisted more than if coming off a 12" spool. It does move more, whether Aluminum, SS, or MS.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Ok I will make myself more clear next time. Thank you for the help. I dont like engineers though or lawyers.
    And by the way, there's nothing wrong with engineers or lawyers, I mean face it, who designed the bridge you drove over this morning,,,,, just some dip**** that was dragged out of skidrow??????????

OK I will give engineers a break. Lawyers never. I fought a war with lawyers watching my every move, they can go to ****. They make money off of others suffering. They make the suffering worse by extending it. Think about it, they all go into politics.
    OK yeah the spool gun thing was what I plan to do, not perfect, but will get er done. Thank you JSFAB
    Last edited by 11b; 08-16-2014 at 09:56 PM.

if it's all you got and it gets the job done right at the end of the day it really doesn't matter what you used. just as long as the weld passes instection your good to go.

I like to know that my tool box is full. How many (average) people know you can draw a circle with a square? Little bits of info win the game right?

I could do it. Code for API wouldn't allow it but its water. Short circuit MIG is not allowed under API.

What page is that on?
    J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.