Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spooling steel.

If you feel you had a condescending smart ass answer and are offended by it, next time take a minute or two and write your question with a little more details
    ( as on job site do it right once) it might save time and feelings.

Yeah,,,,, you didn't mention that the tankers were scrap. Thought they were in use.
    We can't read minds here. GEEZ

Gas in most of Canada is $4.65++ US for reg, and over $5.00 US gallon for Diesel, so don't whine about that
    Last edited by cruizer; 08-15-2014 at 11:35 AM.

First question should have been" We've got some scrap railway water tankers that we are going to bury for the fire department" " I want to use my spoolgun for the extra pipeing. We would have said, sure, bit of preheat and off you go. But NO, you said nothing about that, just RAILWAY WATER TANKERS.

What the heck did you think the answers would be! It's all in the details, that you completely left out.

Ok I will make myself more clear next time. Thank you for the help. I dont like engineers though or lawyers.

I'm not an engineer, I am simply a portable welder who has to make decisions every day. If you mentioned that this was a fixed, static application, rather than RR rolling stock, my comments would have been much different.

I like Cruizer's statement here, "We can't read minds here. GEEZ" Thinking of including it in my sig line. Thanks, Cruizer.
    Last edited by JSFAB; 08-15-2014 at 01:25 PM.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

OK all that aside......how do you guys like using your spool guns for steel? With the adjustable voltage on your power supplies like a Trailblazer? I mean is it at least as good as a wire feeder or close?

Quote Originally Posted by 11b View Post
    OK all that aside......how do you guys like using your spool guns for steel? With the adjustable voltage on your power supplies like a Trailblazer? I mean is it at least as good as a wire feeder or close?
    I think it feels awkward even tho the results look pretty much normal.
    Pretty hard to beat having your favorite mig gun over trying to swing an extra 2lbs of steel as well.
    Just how I feel. Never much cared for the feel of a spool gun even tho the 30-A is the best one.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

OK I kinda thought the same thing. Does the wire seem like it is moving around more than usual? And I agree about the weight and trying to manipulate the puddle. However, can you get spray with yours? You should be able too with a tad bit of O2 right?

Okay, I'm a novice here, not qualified to do a project like this. IMO, it seems a no-brainer the 6010/7018 procedure is the way to go. With 1/2" material, there is the chance you would burn up a 30A gun, it's only rated 200A@100%. At the cost of a 30A, it's not worth the risk.

If one wanted to do this with MIG, wouldn't it be best to have a 300A unit?
    Glen
    Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45
    For Sale! - Hobart Handler 150 - Miller EconoTwin HF

The spray with that gun ( for steel) wouldn't work for long to answer my own question. However you dont have to weld till the gun blows up either, right? Just stop and let things cool. I use an air cooled TIG torch all day because it is lighter and easier to manipulate in all the tube I weld. Yes I have a cooler and torch but I dont use it cause its heavy. So I guess we beat this thread to death.