Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Building a trailer

Hey guys/gals wanted to ask a ? about material choice for frame.Saw a dump trailer the other day,looks like 11g tube steel used for frame.Wanted to get thoughts on guage I should use.I like the choice of tube stock.Wasnt sure if I should bump up to 3/16.Will be making a tandem trailer to cart this lift and deck around,my farm.Thanks for all replys dave (deleting the racks,making low sides)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Material choice really depends in the gross weight of the trailer and the abuse it will have to withstand

Default trailer

just some fire wood,stone,coal once in a while.3500 twin axles,one axle with ele.brake maybe both.But I want to build it not just getting by.thanks

My thoughts are, build it to AT LEAST handle what your axles are rated for. Why have two 3500 lb scores if the rest of the trailer can only handle 5K? If you have 7K worth of axles, build the trailer for at least that. Then maybe go more for piece of mind knowing it will handle whatever abuse you may throw at it.

That's not an easy answer, If its designed right some of it could be 14 ga. tube and you will be fine.

If its designed wrong then 3/8" wall tube will break.

Its all about the design, some areas need to be thicker than others.

Default wall tube

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    That's not an easy answer, If its designed right some of it could be 14 ga. tube and you will be fine.

If its designed wrong then 3/8" wall tube will break.

Its all about the design, some areas need to be thicker than others.
    From what i see out there on dump trailers,no one is using 3/8 wall,,,,,I thought going 3/16 would be suffient enough.

Obviously you didn't get the point Portable was trying to make, it's often the design that makes a difference, rather than the thickness and size of the steel. Question: if you have to ask this question on a message board, are you really qualified to build a dump trailer??? Start small, build a welding cart, then a welding table, then a lawnmower trailer,,, etc. etc. work your way up as you gain knowledge and experience. Make your mistakes with less critical projects.
    Last edited by JSFAB; 08-23-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....