Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Desparately needing help

I am a homeschooling Mom of a 15 year old boy who wishes to become a welder. I am in search of some suggestions to incorporate into his curriculum for credit towards his Career Technical requirements for graduation. We travel pretty extensively with my husband's work, so cannot rely on a local class. I have a few ideas but I'm struggling to find resources. I have looked into Metallurgy, but found the material is probably a bit more advanced than what he is ready for. (OK, so most material I found was geared towards the Master Level). I was considering Welding Safety, Various styles of welding (what they are, what they entail etc), different techniques and their application, perhaps finding something to help him read prints, welding symbols and the like. I would greatly appreciate any pointers or resources that you might be aware of. I have very little knowledge of welding myself, so am in dire need of some assistance. I want to thank everyone in advance for your time. Willow

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillow View Post
    I am a homeschooling Mom of a 15 year old boy who wishes to become a welder. I am in search of some suggestions to incorporate into his curriculum for credit towards his Career Technical requirements for graduation. We travel pretty extensively with my husband's work, so cannot rely on a local class. I have a few ideas but I'm struggling to find resources. I have looked into Metallurgy, but found the material is probably a bit more advanced than what he is ready for. (OK, so most material I found was geared towards the Master Level). I was considering Welding Safety, Various styles of welding (what they are, what they entail etc), different techniques and their application, perhaps finding something to help him read prints, welding symbols and the like. I would greatly appreciate any pointers or resources that you might be aware of. I have very little knowledge of welding myself, so am in dire need of some assistance. I want to thank everyone in advance for your time. Willow
    The Boy Scouts now have a welding merit badge... contacting your local troop could give you more resources in your area...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

That is an excellent suggestion! I will see if I can locate a local troop for some more information. Thanks!

Thumbs up

The resources section here has a lot of free and purchasable educational material..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...g-your-skills/

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

The AWS should be helpful as well..

http://www.aws.org/education/

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

You can try www.weldingtipsandtricks.com also Practical Welding T. V. You might have to try television instead of T.V. Lots of luck

Thank you so very much for the wonderful suggestions! I am currently digging through these to see if I can pull something suitable together. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the information. I really had no idea where to begin. Great jumping off point, thanks! Willow

I believe the best way would be to just get a used welder and let him go to town on some scrap metal. He can read every book written about welding but until he actually puts hands on it and does it, its just fantasy land. Knowing in your head how to do it from reading books isn't the same as hands on experience. I thought I was the best welder in town after reading several "how to books" and online forums, then I got my first welder and found out I was sorely wrong.

Where are you & how long do you typically stay in one area?
    A local participant of this board might volunteer to spend a day or two to help you get started, etc.

Frank

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWrenches View Post
    I believe the best way would be to just get a used welder and let him go to town on some scrap metal. He can read every book written about welding but until he actually puts hands on it and does it, its just fantasy land. Knowing in your head how to do it from reading books isn't the same as hands on experience. I thought I was the best welder in town after reading several "how to books" and online forums, then I got my first welder and found out I was sorely wrong.
    Of course hands on is important..

But so is a sound technical knowledge of the welding process that you are learning.. with all of the free technical manuals that are available for download...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...pamphlets.html

I wish some of this had been available when I started to learn.... It would have saved me from teaching myself a BUNCH of bad habits that I later needed to unlearn...

Rather than marching onward into the fog solo... it would be better for most beginners to have a mentor or teacher available... not to mention proper equipment and setup for the process selected...

as mentioned before... there are a lot of excellent YouTube videos available as well...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200