Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Have to completely overhaul two P218s; any reason not to upgrade them to P220 specs (slightly higher lift cam, etc)?? Also, the P218 has carb/governor linkage that is a little different from that on the P220 and P216, with the manual calling for slightly different (rpm) settings; is one type of linkage better than the other? Anything else to know about these rebuilds that isn't in the manual or part of ordinary good rebuild practice? I do know about going with new rods here, and it sounds like the headbolts ought to be replaced with good studs.
    Last edited by old jupiter; 08-13-2014 at 08:19 AM.

I don't know of anyone that rebuilds these as the costs to rebuild generally out weighs the cost of a new engine. But good luck to you!

We rebuilt a few of the old cast-iron blocks back in the 70's and early 80's, none of them were profitable, I suspect they would be even less profitable today with the aluminum blocks. We were lucky to get even 1/4 of the hours of new, from a rebuilt.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Default you got it....

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    I don't know of anyone that rebuilds these as the costs to rebuild generally out weighs the cost of a new engine. But good luck to you!
    Unless you have free labor, free parts, and really like drilling out bolts, buy a new one, as cruizer is right on the money, rebuilt is more than new, if u do rebuild be sure to bore.. they ware in the center of the bore.
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Free labor, yes, and some free machining. Long ago I worked in a salt-water marina, so know something about extracting bad fasteners. And I'm the sort who just would rather build it myself than buy a crate-motor. But dang, this isn't encouraging! What were the usual early-failure points on the rebuilt engines?

What would you re-engine with (both Ranger 9s)?
    Last edited by old jupiter; 08-14-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Onan P218, Kohler command CH20S, or Honda GX620, now, the honda was in the Ranger 8, but the output shafts are the same as the P218 & CH20S

Quote Originally Posted by old jupiter View Post
    What were the usual early-failure points on the rebuilt engines?
    Bearings, piston rods, crankshafts. I always thought stock Onan parts were incapable of handling the increased power resulting from boring out the cylinders.

If you do choose to rebuild, throw away the original oil pump, and replace with new. Even if it seems fine.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Thank you all.

Default oversized piston..

[QUOTE=JSFAB;322984]Bearings, piston rods, crankshafts. I always thought stock Onan parts were incapable of handling the increased power resulting from boring out the cylinders.

If you do choose to rebuild, throw away the original oil pump, and replace with new. Even if it seems fine.[/QUOTE

there used to be .10 .20 and .30 pistons offered. There is no sizeable increase of power from a bored engine. The amount of increased displacement is tiny. Also many times its cheaper to sleeve the engine back to standard bore as oversized onan pistons were never cheap. The only way we ever rebuilt an onan, kohler, or honda was to turn 2 engines into one. Parts simply to expensive. We used to be able to buy stripped long block 18hp onans for 975. However that was 7-8 years ago.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

It seems there are no more new oil pumps for these motors. Too bad. I guess it's because I was raised by two parents who suffered through the great depression and taught frugality and self-help as prime virtues, but my natural instinct is always to rebuild something old than buy anything new. My brother and sister are the same way, and any of us will spend hours working late into the evening to get something working again when others are watching the tube or whatever, and would laugh at us trying to save "old junk". Our attitude is to enjoy their laughter, but to be secretly proud (and brag about it to each other) when we can get a few more years of life out of anything from an old toaster to an old car. As Cruizer and others of us correctly point out, this will often not make business sense, might sometimes be penny-wise and pound-foolish, but we do these things on our own time and get pleasure out of it as well as any practicality.
    Last edited by old jupiter; 08-15-2014 at 11:16 AM.