Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Wanting to tig steel with my Multimatic 200, looking 4 good source 4 getting started

I have the Multimatic 200 with all the add-ons, spoolmate 100 gun, tig contractor kit setup. Ive seen some videos on basic setup of the machine and watched what I believe are some videos on tig welding steel(not aluminum)

Im finally getting around to start some small simple projects for this Christmas as gifts. So wanted to try tig for the cleaner less grinding aspect of things..

So here is what im going to attempt as the projects.. my wife suggested creating jewelry trees for all the nieces and daughters. I was looking at possibly using some 3/16 round solid or 1/8 round solid so that its easier to create the shapes. Then welding to about a 2" wide flat bar for the stand.. once all done, maybe having them powder coated since it would be for the girls, want them to look nice.

So can anyone offer suggestions? Links to good videos or just suggestions. Just looking to make sure I have all the right consumables before I set time aside to start working on this..

thank you

Jody has some good videos on YouTube called welding tips and tricks. Miller's website has some calculators and info that you'll probably find useful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cubangt View Post
    I have the Multimatic 200 with all the add-ons, spoolmate 100 gun, tig contractor kit setup. Ive seen some videos on basic setup of the machine and watched what I believe are some videos on tig welding steel(not aluminum)

Im finally getting around to start some small simple projects for this Christmas as gifts. So wanted to try tig for the cleaner less grinding aspect of things..

So here is what im going to attempt as the projects.. my wife suggested creating jewelry trees for all the nieces and daughters. I was looking at possibly using some 3/16 round solid or 1/8 round solid so that its easier to create the shapes. Then welding to about a 2" wide flat bar for the stand.. once all done, maybe having them powder coated since it would be for the girls, want them to look nice.

So can anyone offer suggestions? Links to good videos or just suggestions. Just looking to make sure I have all the right consumables before I set time aside to start working on this..

thank you
    So you have never TIG'd before? Or did I not read correctly? If you have never done any before you have a long learning curve and just watching a video is not going to do it, lots and lots of practice will.
    Miller MultiMate 200 MIG/ Stick/TIG
    Retired
    Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
    Master Electrician
    Amateur Home shop Machinist & Welder

I have done some(very little tig) on some aluminum when I was helping at our shop, but have more experience in mig than tig for sure.. but im not looking for how to tig, I guess im looking more for considerations and material references so I know I have the right rods and so on..

Get some thin scrap steel and play around a bit.
    Then you will have a much better handle on what you need.
    I'd begin with collet and collet body for 1/16th tungsten and something like a stubby #6 gas lens. Then try bigger lenses if you can for better coverage.
    That should at least get you going in the right direction.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Did you look here? http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ur-skills/tig/

A tig calculator would be useful. http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...calculator.php

These & other stuff can be found under "resources" at the top of the page.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24