Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question MIG Welding an Aluminum Cylinder Head???

I've been working on a set of aluminum cylinder heads, had them ported and reworked, ready to reassemble and last minute decided "I'll just cut a little more out around the valve guides...." Arg, I knew better. I broke through the water jacket right next to one of the exhaust valve guides as soon as I started cutting that one (looks like mostly a case of core shift, maybe a little corrosion in the passages).

I had to weld the decks on these heads also, and used a TIG, but it would be very difficult if not impossible to TIG in this spot. If I stick the torch head in through the chamber side, it practically blocks all the access from that side, I can't even see what I'm doing, and I can't feed the wire from the exhaust port side because the guide is blocking it.

Since I have a spool gun for my Miller 211, I'm tempted to try to use it to repair it and build up that spot a little bit. Is there any chance of it working? Any suggestions what to try?

I can clean the front face (right now it's just the rough cut finish that you get with a carbide burr, maybe a little contamination from the cutting lube which should clean off fairly easily), but I can't touch the back side at all- the hole is about 1/8" around and I can't see it through any of the coolant holes in the head.

I think that the 211 might have enough power to do it (if I was just welding on the deck I'd be worried about it, but this is a pretty thin spot, obviously if I broke through), I'm actually wondering if the thinness might be a problem for the MIG.

My plan was:
    • clean with brake clean
    • clean with acetone
    • clean with oxalic acid or stainless brush to remove any oxidation
    • Preaheat (not sure what temp or if I should at all, since the only good place I have to preheat is in the kitchen or on the deck and I have to carry the head about 100' to the garage to weld it I figure if I'll probablby get everything setup, preheat to maybe 50* higher than I'm shooting for and go). I've been researching tonight and it seems that most cylinder head repairs say 200*-400*F helps, so barring any better suggestions I'll probably preheat to somewhere between 300-400* and hope to be >250 while welding.
    • weld
    • not sure if I want to cover it up with a blanket or something after welding
    Last edited by Silverback; 07-27-2014 at 09:24 PM.
    Mark
    (aka: Silverback, WS6 TA, JYDog, 83 Crossfire TA, mpikas, mmp...)
    Synchrowave 180 SD | MillerMatic 211MVP + Spoolmate | Hobart Handler 135 | Everlast Power Plasma 50
    1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
    BFH

If these are high dollar heads you should send them out to a professional, Theres a guy in Michigan that repairs heads, Look up Chris Razer, Hes not cheap, you might be looking at anywhere from $ 500.00 on up, I wouldn't have a lot of hope for the mig on this project.

Default Same Question

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

yea, that's me, after posting there I thought I might have more luck here. Since I'm getting responses there I'm updating that one...
    Mark
    (aka: Silverback, WS6 TA, JYDog, 83 Crossfire TA, mpikas, mmp...)
    Synchrowave 180 SD | MillerMatic 211MVP + Spoolmate | Hobart Handler 135 | Everlast Power Plasma 50
    1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
    BFH