Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default welding helmet question

Just had a question hoping maybe someone could answer. I am by no means a professional welder, just do tig welding on the side for fun to fabricate my own parts for my race car. I have a "weldsmart" auto darkening helmet for about 3 years now and all of a sudden it is starting to randomly flash me. It doesnt darken all the time, however, when I weld AC there is never a problem, only DC welding. I bought new batteries and put them in today and no change. Took the lense out and cleaned it with a microfiber cloth and put in new clear glasses and still no change. Just curious if someone could tell me what could be wrong with it or any ideas at all. I do not have $300+ right now for a new high dollar helmet, so any advice would be nice. Thanks guys.

Interesting, this just started happening to me last night, DC, about half way through a 2" weld on 1/4" it flashed.... did it about 3 times ... this is on a Miller XLi and using a Dynasty 200DX
    Glen
    Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45
    For Sale! - Hobart Handler 150 - Miller EconoTwin HF

Are you sure that the sensors on the helmet did not momentarily lose sight of the arc? That has happened to me with complicated welding environments.---Meltedmetal

You haven't adjusted the sensitivity at all recently have you? If it has the ability

I thought I adjusted the sensitivity a bit higher a week ago... turned it back down last night after it happened... Any possibility of getting too close??
    Glen

Turn the sensitivity knob until the lens goes dark. The back it off till it just turns on.
    That's about all you can do.
    The rest off the adjustment is to keep brighter light from darkening it, such as shop lights, reflections, and even other people welding around you.
    Low amp DC tig takes a bit more time to get set correctly than say higher amp AC on aluminum.
    When you see high end welding hoods advertising better sensors, etc, its for lower amp out of position DC. At least in my exp.
    You may have to reposition your work so you hood "see's" it. Find your sensors and then you can go from there.
    HTH
    Garry

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

My problem has not been low end or a shielded arc light, but clear view, face in front, at 150+ amps DC...

I see the shop lights might darken the lense because it is dark sometimes when I flip the helmet down...

I lowered the sensitivity to see how that works.
    Glen