Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default MM 252 will not shut off

This machine was working great until one day I ran out of shielding gas. I had a little more welding to do on that job so I hooked up the gas bottle off the tig machine to do that last few welds. I knew straight orgon wasn't going to work very well but that last few welds didn't have to be the best so I went ahead and switched the tanks and finished the job.

The machine sat for about 3 months before I needed it to do another job so I went and got a new fresh tank of 75/25 and hooked it up and started to weld. After about 20 minutes of welding the wire started to burn back into the tip and after fooling around and burning several new tips I finally figured out that the wire roll was getting low and as the wire was unwinding off the roll it was hanging up and causing the rollers to slip. I put a new roll of wire in and it did the same thing so I changed the wire feed rollers.

I had cleaned the wire liner when I changed the roll of wire thinking that the liner could not possibly be bad already because I have only used up two rolls of wire the whole time I have had the machine. Anyway, after changing the rollers it still seemed like it wanted to hang up at times so I decided to get a new liner and try that. While all this was going on I noticed that the on and off switch didn't cut the machine off and I had to unplug the wire from the plug itself. I was thinking at the time this may have been normal when the gun cable was disconnected from the machine.???

I got a new liner, put it in the gun (standard M25 gun) and adjusted everything then plugged in the machine to give it a test run to see if everything was ok and I noticed that the switch still would not shut the machine off.

I can't find my paperwork of when I bought the machine and the place I bought it from wont call me back to let me know if it is still under warranty. I wouldn't mind the $40.00+ bucks to buy a new switch but I'm wondering if it may not be something else like a board or something that has gone bad. What does this sound like to you guys?

Contact Miller and give them the SN. That will get you in the ballpark regarding warranty. If its' close, they might have the local rep visit your LWS.

Quote Originally Posted by cope View Post
    Contact Miller and give them the SN. That will get you in the ballpark regarding warranty. If its' close, they might have the local rep visit your LWS.
    Thanks, I'll give my guys another day to call me back. They have been pretty good at getting back to me in the past I don't know what they have going on right now. But I was just trying to figure it if it might be a simple switch change or if it might be something more serious.

Who needs paper work, just shoot us the serial#, I'll tell you right away. /its just a standard 40 amp single phase line switch anyways

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    who needs paper work, just shoot us the serial#, i'll tell you right away. /its just a standard 40 amp single phase line switch anyways
    mb350258n

Born on September 6th, 2011, so your still good on the warranty, for a couple more months, anydate after that , you'll need the bill of sale

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Born on September 6th, 2011, so your still good on the warranty, for a couple more months, anydate after that , you'll need the bill of sale
    Thanks for the info. I have all my paperwork but my junk is so disorganized right now anything I look for is almost impossible to fine. I'll run across it some day when I looking for something else.