Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Aluminum MIG Basics Questions

Hi, I'm new here. I've done a fair amount of welding since the mid-80's, but I have no experience with MIG on Aluminum. So far what I've read for basics seems to indicate that a good starting point is

About 10 - 15 degrees of angle from the weld.
    Use a 'push' technique rather than drag.
    20 - 30 for a gas setting.
    Pure argon only.
    Cleaning pretty much the same as TIG on AL; dedicated SS brush on AL only.

I'll be using the welding machines at the shop where I'm working, welding is only an occasional thing for me here, so I'm not looking for specifics on any particular material thicknesses or wire sizes, I can practice and figure all that out, plus there should be some documentation around. Other than the points I made above, what are any other (or corrected) starting point basics you would advise? Mostly just want some general advise on what others have observed. I've trolled a handful of forums and followed some links before posting this.

Thanks in advance for any tips, comments and suggestions you have!

Quote Originally Posted by Merek View Post
    Hi, I'm new here. I've done a fair amount of welding since the mid-80's, but I have no experience with MIG on Aluminum. So far what I've read for basics seems to indicate that a good starting point is

About 10 - 15 degrees of angle from the weld.
    Use a 'push' technique rather than drag.
    20 - 30 for a gas setting.
    Pure argon only.
    Cleaning pretty much the same as TIG on AL; dedicated SS brush on AL only.

I'll be using the welding machines at the shop where I'm working, welding is only an occasional thing for me here, so I'm not looking for specifics on any particular material thicknesses or wire sizes, I can practice and figure all that out, plus there should be some documentation around. Other than the points I made above, what are any other (or corrected) starting point basics you would advise? Mostly just want some general advise on what others have observed. I've trolled a handful of forums and followed some links before posting this.

Thanks in advance for any tips, comments and suggestions you have!

weldingtipsandtricks.com has some good information and videos on mig welding aluminum. Give em a try, good luck.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

If you will be using a spool gun, aluminum is a piece of cake after you experiment to find proper settings, depending on the requirements of the job. You will find that maintaining a fairly long stickout and fast wire speed will prevent wire burnback into the tip. Another aid that sometimes works is to use a tip orifice larger than the wire size.
    Last edited by Goodhand; 07-26-2014 at 02:25 AM.

Welcome to the forum Merek.