Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rfc-23a foot pedal

I have a dialarc 250 hf welder that i picked up cheap, trying not to break the bank i bought a used rfc-23a pedal for it that needs new plugs. Well wen i got it i found that it has two good cords on it but one has three wires and the other has five, which does not seem right since it is supposed to have a two prong and three prong plugs. So i looked up the manual with the schematic and found that it does seem to only need two wires for the two prong plug and three for the three prong. So i figured someone just had good cords laying around and used only the wires they needed. So i opened the casing to see which were used and to my suprise they used all of the five wires on the five wire cord and all three on the three wire. Now im pretty stumped i looked at every manual shown for all models of the rfc-23a and none are wired like this one. Anybody have any suggestions or maybe know why this is?

Thats a stumper. You have a serial # on that foot control?

No i tried to get number off of it so i could get the serial specific diagram from miller but there is only one tag on the pedal and it simply sais rfc-23a. Unless the miller manuals dont show every internal part then this one has more parts inside than the ones they show.

Perhaps if you post some pictures of what you have and/or draw out the circuit of what you have and post that, it might illuminate the subject a little more. Does it appear to be original factory construction or does it look like it has been modified?---Meltedmetal

Does not look factory to me. Going by the miller diagram the wiring should be pretty straight forward. Wire should come in and go straight to switch but in this it comes in and they all go to different redistor type things and then out of those other wires tie in and its a pretty messy looking setup. Wires stripped back and soldered all over and even has a few twist connectors in it. If i can figure out how to load the pics i will because it os very difficult to explain. There wouldnt be anybody on here that has a good pedal they could pop open and snap a few pics of for comparison is there?

2 are for the contactor switch comming off the micro switch in the pedal, 3 are for the potentiometer. sounds like to me that this pedal was modded for a positioner for forward and backward

Hopefully these pictures show up i think i got them figured out
    Attached Images Attached Images

If all the original parts are there that are supposed to be there I would be inclined to remove all the extra stuff and put it back the way it was as it seems you don't have any use for the additional stuff anyway.---Meltedmetal

Yea that is what i am considering doing i just dont know exactly what all is there factory. The only thing i can find is the manual from miller. If that manual is correct and shows all the components then i will do exactly that but i want to be sure that the manual has everything in the diagram that is supposed to be there and they didnt leave anything out before i do it.

Well that ain't factory and I think cruizer hit the nail on the head with it being modified to control a positioner or at least some other non-Miller machine.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 07-28-2014 at 10:39 PM.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110