Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smooth welds??

Angry Smooth welds??

Have a Diversion 180. Using 1/16th 2% ceriated with argon set to 15cfh, 3/32 Er70s-2 filler rod at 75 amps. Doing practice lines on clean 16 gauge mild steel coupons . Im keeping a slow steady constant speed across the steel while welding and the welds are coming out smooth, no ripples in some sections. Even if i use stop and go or move forward then back a little in small increments it still stays smooth, Im holding the torch at 70 degrees as recommended and pushing the puddle, not dragging it...cant seem to get steady ripples, am I doing something wrong here?

IMAG0091.jpg
    Last edited by WickedWrenches; 07-19-2014 at 05:23 PM.

I'm sorry, I personally have no idea, but i'm willing to bet that the pros on here will want pics and I'd like to see as well.

Try to do some flat welds without using filler. When using filler use as little as possible.

I've never been able to run a bead with TIG without filler?? I can do a lap or corner weld without filler. It takes a lot of practice be become good at TIG welding and maybe years to be as good as the guys on here.
    Miller MultiMate 200 MIG/ Stick/TIG
    Retired
    Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
    Master Electrician
    Amateur Home shop Machinist & Welder

Do a butt joint. Tac both ends and then add some small tacs. Depending on how long the piece is say 7" put tacs 1" apart. Then weld from one end to the other. This will help keep the piece from warping. Also don't overheat the piece stop and take a break.

I like to manually pulse the pedal while im feeding. Helps with wetting out and consistency.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you have a foot peddle or hand control? Just because the machine is set for 75 amps doesn't mean you are at 75 amps unless the control is full on.

Try using thinner rods. 1/16 or even .035". This will allow you to use a little less heat & dab the rod into the leading edge of the puddle, don't just move it steady with the torch. I know everyone loves the look of stacked dimes it isn't always the best weld. Not saying it's bad, it's just that you can have a very good weld without it.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default Smooth welds??

Dabbing that filler or pulsing manually as previously posted should fix that prob. But smooth is always a bad thing.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Quote Originally Posted by strictlycarved View Post
    Dabbing that filler or pulsing manually as previously posted should fix that prob. But smooth is always a bad thing.
    I disagree with the smooth is always a bad thing comment. You can have a very good, structurally strong weld with it being smooth. Somewhere along the way the rumor got started that the only weld that's good is a stack of dimes.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24