Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bronze statue repair

I own a bronze statue of St George slaying a dragon. I believe it was inherited by my grandfather. When it was shipped to him the front legs of the horse were broken off at the knees. My question is, can it be repaired, and how. Some of the metal from the knees is missing and would have to be filled in.

i am located in Ohio. Would need someone in driving distance who could do the repair.

Try to get a hold of aametalmaster. I believe he is in Ohio and maybe he can help you.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JMK WELDING View Post
    Try to get a hold of aametalmaster. I believe he is in Ohio and maybe he can help you.
    I am in Salem right below Youngstown if that helps...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by Printydm View Post
    I own a bronze statue of St George slaying a dragon. I believe it was inherited by my grandfather. When it was shipped to him the front legs of the horse were broken off at the knees. My question is, can it be repaired, and how. Some of the metal from the knees is missing and would have to be filled in.

i am located in Ohio. Would need someone in driving distance who could do the repair.
    One challenge is the unknown material. If it was cast in silicon bronze, that is easy, but other alloys may or may not be easy to weld. Some may choose to solder instead.

Best to have someone with experience repairing old statues. Even though I am a metal sculptor I would not be comfortable taking the job.

Richard

I would start out with silicon bronze.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    I would start out with silicon bronze.
    I have 40 lbs of it on hand...Bob

Bob the reason I said he should contact you is because I knew you were in Ohio. I've seen some of your pictures on the Miller website for projects way before the forum came about. Nice work. JOE

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JMK WELDING View Post
    Bob the reason I said he should contact you is because I knew you were in Ohio. I've seen some of your pictures on the Miller website for projects way before the forum came about. Nice work. JOE
    Thats fine. If i can help i am here...Bob

Just a suggestion but how about using a jewlers torch and Brownells hi-force-44-trade-solder. The piece can be airbrushed to make the repaired joints disappear.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...r-prod709.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Just a suggestion but how about using a jewlers torch and Brownells hi-force-44-trade-solder. The piece can be airbrushed to make the repaired joints disappear.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...r-prod709.aspx
    Find a Heating and Cooling wholesale house, $110 for a 1 lb roll is about 3x what we paid. Good stuff and very strong.
    Miller MultiMate 200 MIG/ Stick/TIG
    Retired
    Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
    Master Electrician
    Amateur Home shop Machinist & Welder