Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

400 series stainless is very magnetic.

It's good to go on google and do very simple research about SS and different grades before jumping on forums, people they know very little about metallurgy and metals make statements that SS is not magnetic.
    DYNASTY 350 DX
    DYNASTY 200 DX
    MILLERMATIC 251
    1942 MONARCH CK-12 LATHE
    1969 BRIDGEPORT J-2 HEAD MILL
    SCOTCHMAN 350 COLD SAW
    DAKE 200 BENDER
    BEAUMONT METALWORKS KMG BELT GRINDER

Like I said in my earlier comment, it was my understanding that certain grades of stainless were magnetic, but only mildly. I do my best to do research, and try not to bother people on a forum unless I know I can't find what I'm looking for. But I wasn't on here to ask questions about stainless steel, obviously I'm less experienced than most people on here, but if it bothers you that much, just remember I didn't ask anybody specifically to waste their day away on a computer answering my questions, you chose to come on here and comment. Fusion king - I understand cheaper doesn't necessarily mean more magnetic, I just assumed cheaper meant closer to mild steel, which in my head means more magnetic. Thanks everyone for all your input, glad to be learning.

It may be aluminized steel. That is a very common material used on newer cars exhaust systems. This can be migged with no removal of the coating.