Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Welding chrome plated steel questions

New to the forum, tried to find the answers I was looking for but no luck. I've only been in the field about 2 years, and have never welded or witnessed anybody welding chrome plated steel. I'm aware that chrome is poisonous when in gas form, and not to weld it, but people weld it when they grind it down to bare steel. So my question is, how far from the welds should I grind? I'm just doing a small side job, cut open a muffle for a buddy's mustang and gutting out the baffling so it's loud as can be (don't know why he wants that so don't ask). I'd like to keep this as cheap as possible and avoid replating. Only the tip matters appearance wise. And I'm also wondering if a simple dust mask will be ok for me to wear while I'm grinding it off. Whole thing is kinda a quick hack job I've been doing at lunch, and he's ok with that.

Hate to do this, but I still need answers. So bump! I just wanna know do I only grind off chrome where I'm welding or do I go like 2 inches or so from where the bead will be? Then what? Clean with acetone?

Depend if you tig it or mig it, 1/4 it should be enough when comes to chrome grind off, but it might continue peeling off because of heat.
    DYNASTY 350 DX
    DYNASTY 200 DX
    MILLERMATIC 251
    1942 MONARCH CK-12 LATHE
    1969 BRIDGEPORT J-2 HEAD MILL
    SCOTCHMAN 350 COLD SAW
    DAKE 200 BENDER
    BEAUMONT METALWORKS KMG BELT GRINDER

I'd prefer to mig it, just because I used a cutting wheel to cut the thing open and it's a little rough, so mig would be a little easier, but I have no problem tig welding it, I'm fortunate enough to have a job where I have access to whatever I need. Any recommendations for which process to use and why? Much appreciated!

That doesn't looks like chrome plated muffler, that seems like stainless steel muffler...
    To be honest I don't know if they even make chrome plated mufflers for the cars...
    You can mig it with stainless steel wire.
    DYNASTY 350 DX
    DYNASTY 200 DX
    MILLERMATIC 251
    1942 MONARCH CK-12 LATHE
    1969 BRIDGEPORT J-2 HEAD MILL
    SCOTCHMAN 350 COLD SAW
    DAKE 200 BENDER
    BEAUMONT METALWORKS KMG BELT GRINDER

It may be aluminized steel. That is a very common material used on newer cars exhaust systems. This can be migged with no removal of the coating.