Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jimmydoc1, What I do on most of my jobs is I do the drawings, I decide how far I want things spaced apart ( We always go with poles on 20" centers ) .

I then let the engineer decide what size post, what size beam and what size footing, I just let him know what the dimensions I want to build it too.

I usually find that engineers will do this and then seal my drawings for around
    $ 500.00

If your not good at doing drawings you may want to have him do the drawings.

Once you have the drawings you can then pull a permit, One more thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post is that the city or county will want you to be certified and have insurance prior to issuing a permit.

Keep in mind, Depending on where you are located, Some cities and counties are a lot more laxed and may not require everything that I mentioned.

In my neck of the woods, even if you have a builders license when the size of a house exceeds 3500 square feet you are required to have sealed drawings.

On the other hand, I have seen where some cities allow a carpenter with a builders license to get a permit where he really should have had sealed drawings.

So really the first thing you need to do is find out what the building department is going to require.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wroughtnharv View Post
    In construction a rule of thumb is the material cost will be about the same as the labor cost. So a lot of guys double the material cost and are usually safe with the bid.

Where that goes awry is when the job is not cookie cutter. Then the labor cost is going to be much higher.

There are liability issues for sure. Liability insurance is not only expensive, it's very hard to get.

I do a lot of trade work with buds in construction and business. They pay for the materials at least and I will barter my labor. .

Good grief that's the stupidest advice I've ever seen on the interwebs.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

JTMc, You might be wrong, That method might work if your running a Ice Cream or Hot Dog stand.

Default Rule of thumb...Really?! Where to start...

This is an absolutely terrible question. Not terrible in the fact you asked it. Just terrible in how do you answer it well.

I have to say "portable welder" gave solid advice. Take that and roll with it.

I will say NEVER use material cost as a basis for your labor cost. This is absolutely totally and completely irrelevant.

The honest and accurate answer is that you have to look to the past to predict the future. Take jobs you have done and and look at what you did and how much time it actually took.

If you are going to do this professionally do time studies so you know how long various operations take.

If working as a portable...you have to look at things like, mileage/time to job site, how many times to set up and tear down, how long does that take, equipment rental, added help, overhead.

This is such a short answer to a hard question. Truth is I could go on and on.

Good Luck
    ~ed~

Have you ever noticed that enough is usually too much?!

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    JTMc, You might be wrong, That method might work if your running a Ice Cream or Hot Dog stand.

Sorry Mr. Portable but after looking close at the ice cream/hot dog numbers (my ultimate dream job), I fear I'm right. That IS the stupidest thing I've ever seen on the interwebs and I've seen lot's of stupid stuff.

John
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Default Is there a rule of thumb for pricing bigger jobs?

Why not have your friend be the contractor and just hire you as welder per hour, then liabilty, labor,material , permit is on him

Quote Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
    Why not have your friend be the contractor and just hire you as welder per hour, then liabilty, labor,material , permit is on him
    Maybe with the friends equipment. Otherwise everyone would see the obvious.
    I'd love to find a doctor to do that!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX