Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Miller Blue Star 2E - No Arc

Good evening everyone. I'm hoping to get a little help on a problem with an old Blue Star 2E. Put on a new battery this weekend but I must not have tightened the positive cable enough. When I went to crank it, the cable sparked at the battery connection. I tightened it, cranked it, and went to strike an arc, but nothing. It just sparks a little but not enough to even stick the rod. Battery is brand new and fully charged. Idle doesn't rev up when trying to strike an arc. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks to everyone in advance.

Serial# please....

Default Blue star 2E - no arc

Thanks for the reply cruizer. The SN on my machine is:
    JD677915

It's usually diode D8 thats the culprit. didn't mention if its a ac/dc unit, however D8 is in both, just off SR1 in the wiring diagram, its an inline diode likely under some yellow sheathing

Thank you for the help. Very much appreciated.

Yes, it's an AC/DC unit. D8 diode. I've never broken into one of these machines but I do have the wiring diagram. I'm guessing the diodes can be ordered online most likely and a simple solder connection????

3A 1000 volt. Yes soldered in. Long time since I've seen a 2E, but its in the wiring harness. Looks like wire #7 comming off the start switch between it and the control bridge SR1

Default Not the D8 Diode

Well, got in the new diodes. I bought 2 just to have a spare. Took out the old one, cleaned the connections, put in the new one, cranked it up, but same thing. Nothing but fine sparks. Not even enough to stick the rod.

A diode is an electrical "check valve".

Did you install it in the proper direction?

The band on one end should go toward bridge rectifier SR1.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 07-29-2014 at 09:11 PM.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Not trying to be smart But have you made sure it is in weld mode and not power. Reason I ask is because it happened to me .

Yes to proper direction. The connections are in such a manner to make it idiot proof. Male / female connections. Can't install it backwards.