Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default hobart handler 210mvp will not feed wire

I am using 230v and .035 wire. The welder found a bad spot in the wire I shut it off cut the bad chunk out of the wire and set back up. Now the motor doesn't spin. Fan spins up and it clicks when you hit the button. Pulled the case and nothing is unplugged.

Any words of wisdom?

Call Hobart Tech support on Monday, they are really good. Most likely you popped the transistor that feeds power to the motor if the motor was jammed. You can check the motor by carefully applying 12 volts DC to the motor and see if it turns. If it does your issue is upstream on the board, Should be a relatively low cost fix. I am assuming you checked Page 22 of your manual where it talks about the drive motor protection and waiting for it to reset? Also make sure you are fully 'clicked into' one of the power position detents on the front panel- if you aren't the motor will not run.

Hey,
    Make sure those two wires coming off the gun, make sure the spades are fully pushed on to the receptacle.

Those control the trigger, and ultimatly the drive rollers.

John
    Life is to short for cheap tools.

What do you mean the welder found a bad spot in the wire? Do you have the spool inserted into the machine so the wire is coming off the bottom of the spool straight into the feed rollers? Many people have inserted them so the wire feeds off the top, which causes a lot of drag and can burn up the drive motor.

Open the case. Inside is a white electrical connection. Make sure it's clipped in. The harnesses were wound a bit tight and not clipped in completely from the factory. Had the same problem with mine. Simple fix. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
    I am using 230v and .035 wire. The welder found a bad spot in the wire I shut it off cut the bad chunk out of the wire and set back up. Now the motor doesn't spin. Fan spins up and it clicks when you hit the button. Pulled the case and nothing is unplugged.

Any words of wisdom?

None of the connectors are loose. Bad spot in the wire there was a section that was flat that stopped letting iit feed.

Weird. I've never seen that. What brand wire?

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Weird. I've never seen that. What brand wire?
    I grabbed a roll of harbor freight junk because nothing else was open. Looks like that was a poor plan.