Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Welder remote

Default Welder remote

I run into some "shocking" problems last week with my remote last week.

We have had quite a bit of rain here lately and I started to get shocks. The truck was hot as well as the remote. The remote connection where the cable screws on to it when checked with a volt meter showed about 80VAC. If the head was disconnected from the cable there was no longer an issue.

The manufacturer of the remote was less than helpful so I was left to my own devices to take it apart. It turns out that the box was not very well sealed and the insulation inside had gotten wet.

I removed the insulation and resiliconed around the electrical plug-ins (the original cause of leakage.) I also had a journeyman electrician look at it an he said that a ground should also go to the case. I made up one and installed it.

Seems to work fine now!

Byron

Default Welder remote

You should use the 110volt hospital plugs ( orange in color ) that way your less likely to get a shock in wet weather

Quote Originally Posted by maharg View Post
    You should use the 110volt hospital plugs ( orange in color ) that way your less likely to get a shock in wet weather
    Why is that?Thanks,Mike

It does have the orange plugs. The water being in contact with the white wires and the case of the remote allowed the electricity to flow to ground.

Byron

Whats the point in having isolated plugs if you ground to the case . Now your box is not isolated and is live. your electrician may be a moron to suggest stuffing a ground in there. changing out that insulation and drying out the box would have likely been fine. Guess that never occurred to you..

Funny how there is over 1000 remotes out there and yours was the only one that failed in the rain. Never the less, I was busy and could not take time off. I'm free now, and now that you frigged with it instead of drying it out, Its not my problem anymore.....
    Last edited by cruizer; 07-02-2014 at 10:10 PM.

No worries!
    Last edited by bjfab; 07-03-2014 at 04:58 AM.