Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default I Could Use Some Help On Design Of Aux Fuel Tank

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm looking at building an aux fuel tank for fuel storage on the back of my flatbed. Before I dabble too much into it have a question about the design. I use the flatbed to haul 2 snowmobiles and the tank would be great for extra fuel on long trips so I don't need to run into town for fuel every night.

The flatbed has a headache rack and it extends from the front of the bed about 12'' into the bed. The skis on the snowmobiles go into this space when they are loaded (I don't have the option to slide the snowmobiles back as they hang quite a bit over the edge as it is). So I'd like a fuel tank that has a cutout in the center of it for the skis to go into. My question is about the fuel pump. The ones I know about have one pickup, so whatever space is directly under the pickup is what fuel is sucked up. However, my tank will have a left side, and then a cutout in the center, and then a right side. So I'm wondering how the fuel will get picked up on the right side if the fuel pump is located on the left side. Can you add an extra pickup on the fuel pump to go to the right side as well as the left?

As I'm sure these questions are confusing as ever, I've included some photos to try and clear up the confusion. Thanks for any advice and help.

Sorry for this being sideways

just run a small 1/2 or 1/4" hose to connect the two. you could also run a crossover pipe next to the cab side of the tank .that way it wouldn't be in the way of anything.
    Last edited by tommy2069; 07-01-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Just make the tank with a flat floor, with mounts on each side that will hold it high enough to clear your skis.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Why not a tube dropping below ending in each side of the tank? This practice is used all the time on oil tanks where one big tank would be too heavy, or big to fit down the cellar stairs.

I was thinking what jsfab said, just make it a big rectangle and mount it as high as you need.
    What kind of fuel are you making this for? Diesel, gas or mixed for the sleds.

The end of the skis sit very high. If the entire tank sat above them the tank would maybe only be 6'' tall (as I want it to stay below the rear window line).

If you run 2 separate lines into one pick up on the pump is there any chance you could suck air (if one side of the tank was lower than the other)?

Plumb the pump with 2 suction lines and put a shut offs in the lines to switch sides.---Meltedmetal

Why not an in frame option? If you have no trailer mounting hardware under the flatbed you could fit a nice clean no one knows its there setup... or if your flat bed has side plate mount it on the skirt and frame like a saddle tank? I have a 3/4 ton ford this way to hold fuel for the welding machine, works nice and nothing clutters the flatbed up.

Another idea would be to run your hose under the flat bed from the bottom of the passenger side tank to the driver side, most every 18 wheeler ive ever seen had an equilizer line like this and just let gravity do the work, of course youd never get all the fuel out without draining the tank somehow.
    Last edited by rich45020; 07-04-2014 at 07:09 PM. Reason: another idea