Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Miller 180 autoset vs Hobart Handler 190

Both are fine machines, that being said the Hobart doesn’t hold a candle compared to the Miller as far as build quality, I am confident the Hobart will die long before the Miller. As far as weld quality, the Miller can be set up to weld much crisper than the Hobart, the auto set feature will be greatly appreciated by the novice welder. I personally don’t like the “smooth start” feature and wish Miller would make it where you can turn this feature off. The Hobart does not have variable heat setting, again this will be fine for some and not for others, doesn’t bother me in the least. This is how I use my Hobart (http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ew-shop-welder). I went to the Hobart to get away from the “smooth start” feature that I was fighting while attempting stitch welding on thin gauge material, here is the thread about that struggle (http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...istent-welding). In conclusion, even though the Hobart is doing a wonderful job for me and performing every task I ask of it………. I still wish it were BLUE. Does anyone sell Miller blue in a spray can?
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Quote Originally Posted by metalpuddler View Post
    Both are fine machines, that being said the Hobart doesn’t hold a candle compared to the Miller as far as build quality, I am confident the Hobart will die long before the Miller. As far as weld quality, the Miller can be set up to weld much crisper than the Hobart, the auto set feature will be greatly appreciated by the novice welder. I personally don’t like the “smooth start” feature and wish Miller would make it where you can turn this feature off. The Hobart does not have variable heat setting, again this will be fine for some and not for others, doesn’t bother me in the least. This is how I use my Hobart (http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ew-shop-welder). I went to the Hobart to get away from the “smooth start” feature that I was fighting while attempting stitch welding on thin gauge material, here is the thread about that struggle (http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...istent-welding). In conclusion, even though the Hobart is doing a wonderful job for me and performing every task I ask of it………. I still wish it were BLUE. Does anyone sell Miller blue in a spray can?
    I am not seeing how the build quality of the Miller is so far superior to the Hobart.

Minus the power pin, the gun is the same on both units. The spool hub, filter cap, and fan are the same. Minor differences on the wire drive, like the Hobart contains more aluminum, but they are very similar. The transformer and chokes are constructed the same way- not the same design obviously. The dimensions are different, as well as the look; however, the case construction for the most part is the same.

The MM 175 that the MM 180 replaced was real finicky in the area of arc starts. If you didn't hold a tight stick out length the unit tended to produce some poppy arc starts. The Smooth start run-in seems to have been Miller's approach for fixing this issue.

I like the MM 180; however, performance wise I feel the Handler 190 is the better unit, especially on the top end. On the top end the MM 180 arc becomes harsh and there is a fair amount of spatter. The Handler 190 top end arc is softer then the MM 180, the spatter level is significantly lighter, and weld puddle wet out is noticeably better.

I would skip them both and go to the MILLER 211. It's 120/230 volt and more amps for little more money. If you get it tomorrow JUNE 30, the REBATE is still current.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/landing/build-with-blue/

Danny, I agree with everything you said in the last paragraph. I only use the Hobart with small wire and low settings, however the guns are not the same. The Miller gun will not attach to the Hobart as I was told, besides the pin connection, the gun will not fit the drive. I was hoping I could use my 15' foot Miller gun on the Hobart but that's not happening. Miller does not recommend anything longer than a 12' and Hobart is at 10 even though I use a 15 in the miller all the time.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2

BD1, I needed the small foot print welder to mount overhead in my small shop.
    shop welder.jpg
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2

Does anyone really believe that is "bad" for a hobart handler, or millermatic to have a 15' mig gun????

Is it really bad for the machine??
    I hear it voids the warranty too??
    Life is to short for cheap tools.

Quote Originally Posted by metalpuddler View Post
    Danny, I agree with everything you said in the last paragraph. I only use the Hobart with small wire and low settings, however the guns are not the same. The Miller gun will not attach to the Hobart as I was told, besides the pin connection, the gun will not fit the drive. I was hoping I could use my 15' foot Miller gun on the Hobart but that's not happening. Miller does not recommend anything longer than a 12' and Hobart is at 10 even though I use a 15 in the miller all the time.
    The power pin is the end of the gun lead that inserts into the bore of the wire drive assembly.