Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winch or hoist

Default Do what you want...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
    Every ratchet I've ever seen (even on a cheap boat-trailer hand winch, or a come-along) has a spring, so they would all work in any orientation. But those ATV winches I used on my gantry have NO brake, and they never let any of those loads spool out.
    The ATV winches have a free spooling switch/lever...it's not a hoist.

Steve83 you don't know what you are talking about but others have given the information metalpuddler needs...now all he has to do is decide.

A hoist is rated to lift.
    A winch is rated to pull.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboyracer View Post
    Steve83 you don't know what you are talking about...
    Right.

...even though I've actually BUILT what he's describing, and used it MANY times without any failures.

Well, here it is. Decided since I couldn’t be sure what would work, went the cheap route. Harbor Freight 2500# winch and two 1000# cable pulleys. Winch bracket welded to post and cable run along beam and down in the middle. Works great except for the remote key fob, every tap gives about three inches in or out. I knew this going in but is okay for the fact I can move around the table and adjust the project as I raise or lower. Thanks for everyone’s input. Just wish I would have done this many years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Looks alright. If 3" is too much use a snatch block at the fence panel and hook the end hook back at the beam.---Meltedmetal

from the looks of it you could also use it as a garage door opener too.

Good job. I'm glad it works good for you and in glad you went the cheap route because for your needs that little winch is still rated at way more than you need.

Two things though, 1. I would've thought you would put the winch lower, so you could reach it. That way when you want to let slack out and not have to power the cable out you could release the cable and let it freewheel.
    2. Also like Meltedmetal said, by putting a snatch block on there and running your hook back up to your beam, it would not only lessen the load on your winch, but it would slow the speed of the winch by one half. That way each time you tap the button it would only travel 1.5" instead of 3.

Yea, if you look at the second pic you will see I have my overhead welder arm attached to the post as well just below. It runs pretty fast so I just hop on my table and pull it down, no problem there.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Quote Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
    Right.

...even though I've actually BUILT what he's describing, and used it MANY times without any failures.
    Didn't say it wouldn't work... I did say it wasn't "rated" to HOIST.

Edit: and those ATV winches DO let the drum free spool... when you unlock the drive.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Ok, I'll bite... I'd really like to know. Why not let an ATV winch free spool? I hasn't one, but haven't had to use it yet, so if it really is a bad thing to do I'd like to understand.

It's bad if you disengage the drive while hoisting something with it cause it will free fall. IE not safe. If your using it as a winch to pull, like it's designed to, then it's a handy feature to quickly pay out some cable to make the connection.