Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winch or hoist

Looking at your idea makes sense and I think it will work just fine, but as the previous post said, 1000 lb would be more than enough. You can find winches in the 1000 to 1500 lb range for $100 on sale all day long. Check tractor supply. If you still have doubt about the load, put a snatch block on the cable, run the cable hook back up to your beam and use a hook in the snatch block as the lifting point. You'll double the winch capacity and it'll only have to work half as hard.

Quote Originally Posted by metalpuddler View Post
    Looks like I am spending tens of thousands of dollars or throwing safety out the window. All I want to do is flip a gate on my table, never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be so difficult and/or so costly. The last thing I want is for anyone to get hurt and by anyone I mean me since I am the only one working there. I have come close to injury several times trying to perform this action by hand, thank goodness for safety straps that I tie off before trying a flip.
    for your application I would seriously just use a rope hoist.... they're not expensive.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Is the beam wood or steel? It is not a rafter?
    Last edited by Goodhand; 06-29-2014 at 11:00 PM.

I really have had only good things to say about the hoist I got from harbor freight. It is one of three tools from there I actually care for. It's a freakin steal at under $200. I never talk up harbor freight, but this thing has really impressed me. I would strongly suggest making a bracket to hang when needed directly above. This would allow you to use it with the cable anchored onto the unit to double the lift capacity and slow the lifting motion. This is how I use it to set beams.

Winch/hoist is mainly a semantic/marketing distinction. Functionally, they're interchangeable. Only an oil-filled device has a specific orientation - if it's dry, you can flip it any way you want. Pulleys & sheaves are marketed with a factor of safety, too, so you don't have to buy one with 5x the rating. If the load isn't going over your head (literally - not just up high), and there will never be a human load supported by it, then you only need to buy stuff rated for the maximum expected load (400#). It won't even begin to break until you go above 600#. If you want to build for 600, that stuff shouldn't begin to fail until you push 900.

This photo album shows several things I've lifted with the cheapest import winches available:
    http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/33395-2
    And even when they begin to fail, they keep working for a long time. But again: no true overhead, and no lifting humans.

Goodhand, Ten inch "C" channel on two 6" schedule 40 posts.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Steve, all of the hoists I looked at have a ratcheting gravity brake the will only work with unit oriented to lift so if you turn it upside down the brake wont work.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Default Winch or hoist

I built a crane inside my van using 2 - 3000 pound winches and an aluminium I-beam. 1 winch does the lifting while the other pulls the load in and out of the van. I use it to lift things like job boxes, my Renegade 180, lift tables etc..I will take some pics and post them tomorrow. Yes I know a winch is not supposed to be used to lift but it works great, and I got the winches on sale for $90 each. I modified a trolley to glide along the I-beam with the lifting winch all in one.

Quote Originally Posted by metalpuddler View Post
    Steve, all of the hoists I looked at have a ratcheting gravity brake the will only work with unit oriented to lift so if you turn it upside down the brake wont work.
    Every ratchet I've ever seen (even on a cheap boat-trailer hand winch, or a come-along) has a spring, so they would all work in any orientation. But those ATV winches I used on my gantry have NO brake, and they never let any of those loads spool out.

i have a buddy that lives around vidalia one year the miss river went over the levee .they moved everything they could carry .one guy had a jeep but he couldn't take it with him so they hooked a strap around a huge oak tree and used the winch to hang it up high in the tree.the winch never let go and when they went back to get it it was still hangin there.