Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Trailblazer 280nt won't weld.

So I think I know the answer but would like the opinion from this forum.

I have a Trailblazer 280nt that I have had since 2001. It has 342 hours currently. Now that I'm in a position to really use it I'm having problems. In the morning when I fire it up it welds great. Once it starts getting warm it stops welding. It will try to ark but will not carry the ark. I tried switching it toAC and straight polarity. I also tried flipping the remote switches back and forth but to no avail. The generator still works just fine. I am going to assume it is one of the computer boards that is the main problem. I'm not truly sure which board it is.

Have any of you run into this and is it best to have a repair guy look at it or get the new $700 board and rock on?

Mind you the closest repair guy is 90 miles from me.

Thank you in advance.

Thats a tough one, unlikely to be a board though as they don't generally work and not work. I'd check your cables and make sure that an end isn't green and corroded. Board fuse corroded maybe. Really dirty slip rings, bad brush. The troble list is quite long for this unit. Check the easy stuff first.

I did clean the cable ends to shiny copper. And I don't know the boards well enough to say that if it could be something that when hot separates and as it cools it goes back to position and touches allowing me to weld when it cool.

Just an update:

Well the welder doctor ran this Trailblazer 3 hours at 220 amp load outside in 105 deg heat and switched the load on and off several times and absolutely no problems. That could be good and it is my leads and my buddies leads that are bad or we may not figure it out.