Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default OK to connect gas compressor to TB start battery?

I finally got a skid together and bolted both my TB251 and gas compressor to it. I dont really want to add another battery, and the TB battery is convenient to connect to. In fact, I had them connected to the same battery years ago when they were on my trailer, and it works fine, but I have since learned about the expense of the circuit boards on my TB, and don't want to further chance wrecking it.
    The compressor has a 10hp Kohler on it with, IIRC, has a built in 15 amp alternator (stator on the flywheel)
    So, is this safe for my welder, or should I figure something else out?

Add an isolated battery (with a isolator), then giver. Don't really want to surge this system straight off that battery.

I'm not here to say that cruiser is wrong.

However both of my welding rigs are set up so that the battery in the welder is used to start the compressor, and its been that way since 1999 on the one rig and 2002 on my other rig.

I've never had a problem.

Some rigs are just fine doing it this way, Like Lincolns and such which don't depend on the battery for anything else but running the engine. Millers, I've found out the hard way do depend on the battery for starting up the generators. The 251 is quite finiky. thats why the suggestion to run a separate and isolated battery off it. That way the exsisting battery doesn't surge when the compressor comes on. Not to say it won't work, just a protection for the boards and generator side of things.

I like to play it safe in other words

I do it but as the man said,,, its a different machine.

i used to have a john deere gator and i installed a second battery it ended up frying the charging system on the gator trying to charge two batteries . i ened up putting a toyota alternator on it and ran it to the deep cycle battery and left the stock system run to the stock battery. both batteries were connected together but i put a battery disconnect switch in between them .now i know you dont have two batteries but if you have the room to mount the disconnect switch all you would have to do is kill any power going to the welder when you start your compressor.that should save it from any damage that might happen. another thing is i'm not an electrician but it seems that you could damage something if both compressor and welder are running at the same time and both are putting a curent into the battery at the same time maybe someone in here with more brains than me can answer that one.

I had it running that way for some time, and it works fine. Its just that with new light on these boards popping while jump starting, I thought I should approach it more cautiously. I will likely just use the jump start pack I keep in the truck. The only real reason for wanting to do it is to avoid having another battery to maintain, and replace at the most inconvenient time possible.

I suppose you could always set it up one battery with double pole double throw switchgear to switch in the desired machine but it might be more trouble than it's worth.---Meltedmetal

Default He's right but there is a way...

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Some rigs are just fine doing it this way, Like Lincolns and such which don't depend on the battery for anything else but running the engine. Millers, I've found out the hard way do depend on the battery for starting up the generators. The 251 is quite finiky. thats why the suggestion to run a separate and isolated battery off it. That way the exsisting battery doesn't surge when the compressor comes on. Not to say it won't work, just a protection for the boards and generator side of things.

I like to play it safe in other words
    Simply disable the charging system on the air compressor. Would take about a month to wear down the welders battery. No issues on the backfeeding. More an issue of overcharging which happens very often on Kohlers.
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck