Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default me?

Not sure if you mean me, but I was one of the first to reference those pictures from the Miller handbooks, and from ArcZone, and another from Google Images.

Now that I think about it, it couldn't have been me since I'm in no way in witness protection, LOL. But I do know that once I posted those pictures, others started saving them and posting them up once the same topic was brought up again.

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Oscar,
    It wasn't you who posted and I saw, but it is the item I spoke of. I've been away, haven't tried testing the theory. Anything that will help to put the heat in the joint, instead of out in the field should make for a straighter finished piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Oscar,
    It wasn't you who posted and I saw, but it is the item I spoke of. I've been away, haven't tried testing the theory. Anything that will help to put the heat in the joint, instead of out in the field should make for a straighter finished piece.
    You mean "hypothesis".

But anyways, no need to test anything. The test results are on the Miller diagram. Also "surface current", or "skin effect" as it is called, only really applies to AC electricity, well above the 100kHz range. For DC welding, and for all practical AC welding, current will travel well into the interior of the conductor (tungsten).
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
    Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Question

Do not see a reference to type of machine... it will make a difference if applied to an inverter with multiple waveforms and adjustable frequency...like a Dynasty..
    I have a feeling this is for a Mag Amplifier or chopper supply..
    Last edited by H80N; 06-25-2014 at 03:16 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Can I hijack my own thread? Define chopper technology. I mistakenly it seems guessed it was the way a syncrowave made square wave AC. People corrected me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by OscarJr View Post
    You mean "hypothesis".

But anyways, no need to test anything. The test results are on the Miller diagram. Also "surface current", or "skin effect" as it is called, only really applies to AC electricity, well above the 100kHz range. For DC welding, and for all practical AC welding, current will travel well into the interior of the conductor (tungsten).
    Sorry about that! Sometimes I don't talk pretty much too good Engrish.
    As for skin effect, Nicola Tesla would disagree with your statement were he here.
    Last edited by WillieB; 06-25-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Thumbs up

Can I hijack my own thread? Define chopper technology. I mistakenly it seems guessed it was the way a syncrowave made square wave AC. People corrected me on that.
    Willie...

You were right... Square Wave machines use SCR's... Silicon Controlled Rectifiers... and they are commonly referred to as "Choppers"...

those chopper circuits were used to control current and AC balance in the Syncrowave welders...
    it was a huge technological leap at the time...
    Last edited by H80N; 06-25-2014 at 09:30 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I tried it last night with aluminum, 1/4" x 2" crossed flat against flat overlap and 1/4 to 16 gauge 6061, 200 amp 200 HZ 80% EN 4043 3/16 3/16 blunt ground tungsten tapering with pedal as it heated up. I found it worked as well as long pointed, or better. I didn't find it necessary to stop to adjust stick out as the tungsten shrunk away. Thoriated, 2% lanthanated, and ceriated performed pretty similar until I ran out of argon. That does not work well!

Sorry about that! Sometimes I don't talk pretty much too good Engrish.
    As for skin effect, Nicola Tesla would disagree with your statement were he here.
    No he wouldn't. Look up the formula (or approximation thereof) and plug in the values for tungsten's conductivity and permeability. Then try varying angular frequencies and you will see for yourself. This is covered in any undergraduate physics course on introduction to electromagnetic field theory.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
    Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

If I could sneak into that physics course, or spend my life savings to have that knowledge, I'd do it. Otherwise, if you would be willing to enlighten me, I'd be richer for the knowledge. Others would benefit or at least be entertained.