Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HMMM Need help Contamination Aluminum

Hey guys I'm in a pickle here! Im welding chromoly for the first time and that well actually other than when i weld it it gives off a awkward smell and I just mention this to see if this related to my problem. Now first thing is the fact that im getting horrible contamination when welding aluminum. So far what I have done...Checked for Leaks (argon) , made sure tank is argon, tried 3 different tugstens(2 2% Lanth-1 Pure), tried diff. filler rod (new bag of 4043. changed collet and body(using screened collet body), used 6 7 8 9 cups, turned cleaning action up to the point of tungsten melting, tried gas flow to point of arc blowing out and down to no gas, also tried 4 different pieces of stock all 6061 t65 mill stock fresh and clean. So this is weird i had my machine dialed in and changed nothing before all this trial and error. since this worked great the only thing I have changed is I exchanged my argon tank for a new one. now it has to be tank in my eyes it worked fine just before so am i wrong? What else could it be? does anything happen tanks that could cause peppering, contamination? thanks zach

Quote Originally Posted by nissan20det View Post
    Hey guys I'm in a pickle here! Im welding chromoly for the first time and that well actually other than when i weld it it gives off a awkward smell and I just mention this to see if this related to my problem. Now first thing is the fact that im getting horrible contamination when welding aluminum. So far what I have done...Checked for Leaks (argon) , made sure tank is argon, tried 3 different tugstens(2 2% Lanth-1 Pure), tried diff. filler rod (new bag of 4043. changed collet and body(using screened collet body), used 6 7 8 9 cups, turned cleaning action up to the point of tungsten melting, tried gas flow to point of arc blowing out and down to no gas, also tried 4 different pieces of stock all 6061 t65 mill stock fresh and clean. So this is weird i had my machine dialed in and changed nothing before all this trial and error. since this worked great the only thing I have changed is I exchanged my argon tank for a new one. now it has to be tank in my eyes it worked fine just before so am i wrong? What else could it be? does anything happen tanks that could cause peppering, contamination? thanks zach

Are you welding on AC not DC.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Question Pics.. Settings.. Machine...???

What type of machine..?? settings..??

weld pics..??

what type of aluminum are you welding?? thickness?? (you said 6061 is it marked??)

How do you think this relates to chrome moly..??.. smell??

Have you looked here..?? look familiar..?? peppering..??

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-guide-graphic

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...eshooting.html
    Last edited by H80N; 06-18-2014 at 08:24 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Okay I forgot to say that, yes I'm on AC with ground POS and torch NEG.

Yes I did check those pages out that what lead me to the tank...

Heres some pics, so there's two with bad bad peppering and one pic from before I changed the tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So these are just scrap pieces be the third pic has no contamination?? The Metal is Labeled 6061 t65 and it is clean. Could this be the tank?? I think its related cuz i now get that smell with mild and stainless steel which i never did before...

Welder brand..?? model??

settings..?? ac balance..?? frequency??

physically clean the aluminum with dedicated wire brush or abrasive just before welding??

acetone wipe??

tungsten stickout..?? size..??

argon flow cfh??.... backcap o-ring ok..??

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Go with your first gut reaction- the only thing you changed was a new jug of gas. take it back and try a new jug.
    Bad jugs of argon do happen.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Welder brand..?? model?? settings..?? ac balance..?? frequency?? physically clean the aluminum with dedicated wire brush or abrasive just before welding?? acetone wipe?? tungsten stickout..?? size..?? argon flow cfh??.... backcap o-ring ok..??
    Luxor Ebay 200p and I love It Using pedal, pulse off, Ac balance I always use at about 40% electrode Pos and tried As high as i could go till tungten was melting off no difference, Fixed 60HZ, Stainless brush ONLY for Alum(even bought new one), yes tried acetone wipe, tungsten 3/16 2% Lanth. at 3/16-1/4 past cup, Yes Tungsten cover oring brand new (also did Bubble Leak down test no leaks), argon flow I tried to point of arc blow out and down to no gas(as I increased I just had turbulence no change in Bead quality) Im telling you this was a day to day change old bottle fine new one problems??

Smile

Luxor Ebay 200p and I love It Using pedal, pulse off, Ac balance I always use at about 40% electrode Pos and tried As high as i could go till tungten was melting off no difference, Fixed 60HZ, Stainless brush ONLY for Alum(even bought new one), yes tried acetone wipe, tungsten 3/16 2% Lanth. at 3/16-1/4 past cup, Yes Tungsten cover oring brand new (also did Bubble Leak down test no leaks), argon flow I tried to point of arc blow out and down to no gas(as I increased I just had turbulence no change in Bead quality) Im telling you this was a day to day change old bottle fine new one problems??
    Argon... try about 15 cfh.... is the air in the shop still or do you have breezes??

set your balance to 70% negative raise your amperage and move faster...

Tungsten prep?? ground to taper and blunted??

Broc may very well be right about a bad bottle of gas... it does happen... not often in my experience... but you may have drawn the lucky ticket... you might try trading it..

but usually it turns out to be operator related..
    Last edited by H80N; 06-18-2014 at 05:29 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Question

Okay guys I figured it out!!!! If was the bottle for sure... Hit up high plains welding(Denver CO supply store) and said it getting bad bad contamination and a funny smell they said "well can you stop by today to swap her out". I was shocked lol they took that well... So I got there said I was the guy on the phone and I asked is this a common thing to happen, are you convinced it's the tank as well and the said that it's not common (didn't think so) but the said that diff. Your problem. I asked how they new and it's that funny smell I slightly mentioned. He said that's the signs of a bad bottle. Turns out I was the first person to use it since it's new test date certification so they think some of the purging chemicals for X-ray where most likely left behind.... Crazy.

Well lol I hope my experience helps other people out... If you changed nothing but your bottle and you do your dumb dumb check list and all things check out check for a funny smell ON mild steel, stainless steel, or chromoly and your aluminum is dirty as all **** ..... BOTTLE!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the help guys! Truly appreciate it!

pics.... Some stainless and aluminum with new bottle one pic has all my peppered welds with one bead on it with the new bottle
    Attached Images Attached Images