Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question 1981 Wildcat 350D w/ Waukesha VRD155 - water pump

Hi, I'm new here. (My how cliched sounding is that?) A quick rundown of what I have: A 33yr old machine that made its way here from what was likely oil fields somewhere in New Mexico (can just make out the old emblem) that some PO painted rattle can primer red...the panel labeling too. Did find a replacement off ebay however. Found the welder//gen locally while looking for a tractor loader to no avail, but found THIS instead which was also on the "to get" list. Good thing too since w/o it the tractor I did find, I wouldn't be able to rebuild the loader. What I paid? 800$ and worth every penny. Runs good but an issue is creeping up that I hope to take care of asap. Beginning to experience coolant loss from the water pumps weep hole that requires periodic topping off. As far as I know its original with who knows how many hours on it. Being such an old rig, parts are slim pickings especially since if it was a POS that broke down all the time then parts would be easily procurable. At this time its not practical to disassemble the shroud just to try and get a part# off the pump just yet since only half done with the tractor. Any possible parts source that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Aside from that the starter is acting up (have to use a screwdriver to start it initially but starts with button after warmed up) but that part I've already found a source.

You can try miller4less.com. I think you can use the machines serial to locate parts lists.

Probably just as easy to remove it, take it apart, reseal and rebearing it. Lots of seal and bearing shops around. As for your starter is likely just the starter solinoid. 100% better to have the same one rebuilt. as you'll Likely go through many problems on a replacement that isn't QUITE right. Been through this on one too many occasions

I'll check that site out to see.
    For my existing water pump my intent would be to rebuild it as a backup should I find a replacement. Seals and bearings that will fit shouldn't be a problem since a local auto-parts place carries or can get almost anything one is after.
    -------
    I THINK I found the # at ArrowEngines.com...since Waukesha did get bought out and the company it was with ended up with the Arrow name. They had a manual for download of older engines that gave a breakdown of the engine that my welder manual lacked and the diagram of the VRD155 shows the waterpump and it matches what I have after looking at it carefully from the 2 sides I can see of it. Part# M190460 according to the parts list...though it has Arrow as the name on it the engine is the same 155 and parts all show identical appearance and going in exact same places.
    --------
    Did find a pump with that part # on ebay claiming remanufactured...otherwise it would be one through DieselEngineTraders and the one I found there the place wants 700$ (500 for part and 200 core). I'd almost be better off buying their rebuilt VRD155 for 6600$ at that price. Hopefully though by the middle of next week I can confirm that pump part number...can't tear it down until then.
    Last edited by RuralTowner; 06-19-2014 at 07:18 PM.