Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up

Glad you got it sorted out...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Thanks Again, Ya so I always used the 10N series collet body and I just picked up the medium screened gas lens and WOW!!!!! what a difference in coloration with stainless its unbelievable! If anyone is having troubles with that beautiful coloration of stainless and just cant quite get it. Change from 10N collet to screened gas lens you wont regret it I promise! Have you guys heard of using L310 filler with 4130 chromoly? I know ER70S-2 is the best for not preheating or annealing and ER80S-D2 if you do so, but 310 I heard some people says it works great. does anyone know what tinsel strength 310 has? or had experience with 310?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nissan20det View Post
    Thanks Again, Ya so I always used the 10N series collet body and I just picked up the medium screened gas lens and WOW!!!!! what a difference in coloration with stainless its unbelievable! If anyone is having troubles with that beautiful coloration of stainless and just cant quite get it. Change from 10N collet to screened gas lens you wont regret it I promise! Have you guys heard of using L310 filler with 4130 chromoly? I know ER70S-2 is the best for not preheating or annealing and ER80S-D2 if you do so, but 310 I heard some people says it works great. does anyone know what tinsel strength 310 has? or had experience with 310?
    Why fool around with proven tested filler applications... when that experimentation could result in a substandard weld and possible injury or death..??

using stainless as a filler for 4130 was a fad about 30 years ago in some racing circles...(I did some of that myself)

I will stick with the proven safe fillers ER70S-2 & ER80S-D2

Here is an AWS article that covers it

http://www.aws.org/wj/apr03/AWfeature.html

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Yup true that! ill stick with 70S-2 What grade stainless to you start using 316L rod on and Aluminum i was told 4043 is good up to 6061 T65? at what point do you move to 5356?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nissan20det View Post
    Yup true that! ill stick with 70S-2 What grade stainless to you start using 316L rod on and Aluminum i was told 4043 is good up to 6061 T65? at what point do you move to 5356?
    Stainless steel TIG filler selection

here is a selection chart

http://www.weld.com/files/Stainless_...tion_Chart.pdf

For Aluminum 4943 covers all of the places you would use 4043 and a bunch more
    here is a thread you might want to read..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...highlight=4943

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200